Annoying Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:57 AM
2nd Gear member
Default Annoying Rattle

I am getting a loud rattle from my rear hatch area- it almost sounds as though it is coming from inside the spoiler itself- it may be coming from the hinge area though not exactly sure- are there any common things that rattle loose in this area of these cars?

Old 03-19-2008, 08:02 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Annoying Rattle

I feel ya. My Z is noisy as hell, from the exhaust rattling everything, to the squeaky poly bushings that I hate having to lube up all the time. Its a love-hate relationship. My hatch noticably rattled, but it just sort of went away one day. The license plate also rattled, which was hard for me to spot out until it got really loose, and I could actually see it vibrate from the outside. A good way to get an idea is to have someone rev it up a bit, and go out back at but your hand or ear to some of the rear parts. Sometimes its just a loose nut.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:51 AM
2nd Gear member

Hmmm okay Ill see if I can narrow it down at all- any other ideas?

Old 03-19-2008, 11:49 AM
May 2008 ROTM

Q: What's that rattling/squeaking noise coming from the hatch area?

A:F-bodies are notorious for their "mysterious" rattles/knocks/squeaks. The 4th generations cars have greatly reduced these rattles, but they are not totally eliminated. Try one of the following: [ul][*]Put some white lithium grease on the hatch latch and its shock supports.[*]Ensure the spare tire is tightly secured in its place.[*]Wrap some electrical tape around the rear seat posts. There usually isn't a perfect fit of the seat latches and the post causing rattling. The tape will reduce any play and deaden any rattle.[*]It could also be the hatch. Give the rubber posts at each corner of the hatch about 1/2 turn out and then wrap 2 layers of electrical tape around the hook/latch in the middle of the hatch that the lock assembly clamps onto when you close it. It may also be necessary to adjust the whole lock assembly (up or down).[*]Also try the B-pillar where the clothes hook is. There's some velcrose already holding the molding on. Try shoving some foam or double-face tape in there and press it down tight. This should reduce any movements and hopefully eliminate any noise.[*]If you are getting a rattling from what seems to be the ceiling, more than likely is the seatbelt retractor on the passenger side. This seems to be a common problem with a lot of the later model 4th gens. There has only been a handful of people who have fixed this, and they did it by shoving some felt cloth or other types of soft padding in the ceiling panel where the seatbelt retractor makes contact.[*]Rattling from the doors - Probably the windows moving around. If you want to take off your door panel, there are little brakets that put tension on the window when it goes up and down, you can try to tighten these a little, or lubricate the runners that the window goes up and down on.[*]Rattling from the walls next to the rear seats - Some people have reported that the fit of the plastic panels next to the rear seats is pretty poor. You can try to fix it yourself by putting some padding under it where it appears to be rattling, or try taking to the dealer to see if they can fix it.[*]Noises from outside body panels - The fit and finish of these cars is not always as good as it could be, and often times there are body panels that rub together. A real common one is the drivers side front quarter panel rubbing against the frame. Getting in there, removing the bolts, putting some type of silicone lubricant on it and retightening them seems to help here.[/ul] In most cases, its not worth the effort required to take care of a squeak, and most dealers are very uncooperative about fixing strange noises from these cars under warranty. If you have a squeak or rattle, the best thing you can do is accept it and try to drown it out with the stereo.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear member

okay I will check all of that- thanks Girl

Old 03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
May 2008 ROTM

what I posted was for the pontiac 4th gen f-bodies... but, its really all the same

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 PM
1st Gear Member

i have a rattling also but i noticed that theres somewhat of a shield over the exhaust and its bent and no longer connected on one side and i just figured it would be that since the car vibrates so much but i also hear some what of a humming when im in my car and now im wondering if its the spoiler

Old 03-20-2008, 01:35 PM
2nd Gear member

Alright I have narrowed down the rattle and it sounds like itis actually coming from the area oflock cylinder on the back of the car- ideas?

Old 03-20-2008, 06:53 PM
Overdrive Member

Turn the radio up. I need to fix mine too.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:46 PM
2nd Gear member

Any ideas on what could be rattling?

Quick Reply: Annoying Rattle