Annoying coolant leak problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol, heck i dont know,,, its been a while from the last time i had the intake off and i drain the system every time so i wont get coolant in the crankcase. figured worth a try but then the driver side one is not easy to get to.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Cold engine + a pressure test will amost alway so a nice stream of coolant. Keep an eye on the oil If any gets in there then change the oil before start the motor.

Cooland pressure testers can be borrowed from most chain parts store with a deposit. Youtube has how to videos. Besure to check it cold before checking it hot.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:34 AM
2nd Gear member

Haven't done a pressure test yet, too many work hours this week for the time. However I've snapped a few pics and felt around a bit and from all the images it doesn't seem to be that steam line back there however I can't see anything further than that. What are the locations of the two freeze plugs which are on the rear? Thinking the driver side plug could be the problem...hard to find good info on the plugs

NVM disregard haha. Since the wet areas are collecting on top of the tran housing driver side it wouldn't be a plug there are none above that. So it's either I'm not seeing the slight leak off that crossover line, or the coolant is working up through bolt threads somewhere in the rear of on the heads....

Last edited by JGuy07; 03-04-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear member

Took it to a guy I know, he has a small shop outside of town. Pressurized the system and said he could see coolant coming off my coolant temp sensor on the WP, leaking from wp fittings themselves(the bottom side tubes) and from the bell housing area so it wasn't the line afterall.

Since I told him I didn't want any serious work done and he could do nothing without my ok for a new WP and to dig into the tran/housing area he added Wynns (sp?) and my coolant leak stopped. So for that, I'll have to wait until I get another WP through warranty.

I'll also have to wait for the money for him to figure out what could be leaking in the housing area, possible core plug? He said hi took the inspection cover off but wasn't able to get a good look because of the flywheel. There is something covered up by the housing which is leaking coolant.

Also notified me one of my seals on the front cover is bad, I recently replaced them, he said oil is slowly leaking and running down both sides of the cover. My guess is the WP drive shaft seal as I had a hell of a time getting that in place and it may have gotten too roughed up, idk.

So now I know what problems remain on my car, at least that's the good news.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

soft plugs are behind the flywheel/flexplate. intake seal on the front can leak down the sides of the front cover

Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM
2nd Gear member

It's not the intake I did a good job on that one haha

He said it had to be the Wp or possibly opti seal but since things were so close he couldn't get a good look without taking things off which I didn't want done at the time for cost purposes.

So basically the only way to get to those plugs is to pull the tran and flywheel? Dang. Regardless, The Wynns product is a great product and treats the coolant and seals the leaks. It worked and isn't like the thick bars leak stuff it doesn't clog anything since its purely a liquid. I'll let that stuff ride out until I'm able to do some more work.

Any pics of the plugs or exact locations, any helpful images?

Old 03-15-2012, 08:30 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

to funny, this guy pulled the motor to change the soft plugs in back. shows where they are though

1995 chevy small block freeze plug - YouTube

Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Thanks, now im just wondering if that's the culprit then how does coolant get to the top of my housing? I don't think it would force it's way up that much. There are no other leaks up there.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

now i thought the guy said it was up behind the converter. like i said there are only a few things above the trans that could be leaking. the heads dont have soft plugs and the block does not have any up there. might try a dry towel down there and run it to see if it will indicate where its coming from. but its not leaking now is it. lol.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear member

Its not, he's gonna give me an estimate on total price for the work and it will be much easier to give it back to him rather then crawl around on my garage floor for all of this.