Amp Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Amp Wiring

This is for anyone who has an amp in their car particularly mounted in the rear. Where did you mount the amp? Where did you run the wires through the firewall if you did? And where did you run the wires just inside the car itself. A friend of mine has a bunch of old stuff we are going to try and put in my car.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:35 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: Amp Wiring

i mounted my amp on top of gas tank, but dont do that! make something to mount it on, the screws will go into the gas tank, and throw codes. if your subs are going where your ttops should, then make a peice of MDF to mount the amp on, and screw the MDF to a spot away from tank, if subs going on gas tank, mount the amp where the t tops go, or ontop of the subs.

the fire wall grommet is on the passenger side, behind glove box, very hard to find actually. after wiring it through that, run it under your running board, sill, whatever you wanna call them panels, then up through the back panels, where the rear speakers are, now there should be a hole somewhere around where the rear seat folds, to come back out of plastic, pull wires through there(same for remote lead and RCA's, prolly best to run those on driver's side though, and run them in steering column tied to other wires, or under carpet by pedals) for the ground, use one of the rear seat hinges(requires taking seats out), grind the paint of the hinges, so it gets good connection, or you could wire it over to where spare tire is. i'll see if i can find pics of when i did mine.

Old 12-14-2007, 02:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks ninetysix that was very helpful but as for the amp I was thinking of mounting that on the left side of where the t-tops go. I don't know if your car has it but in mine there is a hole in the plastic on the side opposite the spare tire. Never really knew why but I would just put a piece of wood in there and mount to that. The subs being back where the t-tops go is just for the winter as I actually do like to take them out when it is warm. I am a little unclear on this part though ((and run them in steering column tied to other wires, or under carpet by pedals)) do you mean for the wires that go to the drivers side to the amp? And are they okay under my feet as long as they are up high enough?

Old 12-14-2007, 04:48 PM
4th Gear Member

yea, that little cut out area should work if the amp is small enough, and i always put T tops in back seat, i was usually only one in car though.

i mean the RCA and remote lead wires that conect to your head unit(CD player), you can run them2 diff ways, with or without the power wire. if with power wire, the best way would be to run them to the passenger side of your car, and tuck them under the arpet waaaay up where the passenger's feet dont even go, then bring over to the running board piece(take this off) and tuck it under edge of carpet all the way back, and under the other "speaker"/rear panel, and come out the hole by the seat hinge, then run them behind seat, unnoticed, to the left side panel, and tuck them under the panel, to where your amp is.

another way is like that, but seperate from power wire(take power down passenger side) take your steering column panel off, and run the wires under that, and tie them so they dont interfere with steering, then run them through driver side kick panel, then under driver side running board piece, and back through rear panels to amp.

i prefer the second way, cuz the power wire can interfer with RCA signal, if your RCAs arent expensive ones, but if you do it this way, you have to take panels off on both sides of car, instead of the one side.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:48 PM

Ok put in a 1000W amp and 2 12s in my 01 RS

Heres what I did, Amp is placed behind the back seats it is not mounted but could be mounted easily
My back seats are folded down and the sub box is on top of that *(until i can get the custom Q logic box that is made for the camaro trunk)
I went through the firewall on the driver side and runs underneath the foot rest to the back (NOTE: you want to get a wire guard like a metal sheet so that you dont cut the wire from repeated use)
The positive lead is connected to the positive post near the fuse box.
Im grounded to the bare metal that the back seatbelt buckle is connected to
I can post some pics if you need em

Old 12-14-2007, 10:27 PM
4th Gear Member

hmm. didnt know they was apositive post, unless they didnt have on 96's, if there is, did you upgrade the wire from battery to post too?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:23 AM

I put in a DVD nav player, disk changer awhile back. They put the disk changer in that hole you mentioned on the left side opposite the spare tire. Great place, i set cleaning products and towels behind it.

As for the amp, i use a bass tube (its enough for me) and an amp. I lost trunk space but i set them right behind the back seats and velcro'd them down. They hold just fine. The wiring i did on my own and my solution i think works out great.

1) From the Battery i ran the power from the red terminal box just behind the battery. the wire runs down behind the ecm to the firewall. There is a 1.5 inch rubber grommet there that you can add a hole to and feed the wire through. Unbolt the ecm and flip it up and you can fit your arm down in.

2) From there, you access your wire by taking off the kicker panel and feeding it back through the car trim to the trunk. I pulled it out in the small opening in the trim for the rear seat latch.

3) i ran the remote power control from the head unit along the same path and for the ground i ran a wire to the bolt that holds the rear seat belt (close and easy)

4) For the RCA cables for the amp i ran them along the other side of the car the same way, and then underneath the trunk carpet over to the amp.

I can include picture for my setup if anyone would like, i really like it (my first amp/sub install). It also puts the power line there from the battery for a power antenna i intend to install soon (i think it will look much better and won't have to cut a hole in the car cover
;-) )

As for the disk changer, it fit perfectly in that spot opposite the spare tire, just enough room for the unit to fit in there before it tapers off, and doesn't block the t-tops at all.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 AM
4th Gear Member

i was just gonna screw it onto the side of my enclosure. But its only temporary until i can get the stealth kit.