Alternator Relocation. New Hood Clearance Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 03:01 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Alternator Relocation. New Hood Clearance Issue!

Installed my hood that was lying around. It is a 98+ SS ram air style hood for the early 4th gens. It is painted and good to go. However, I am having an issue with it clearing the alternator due to the double wall design for the air funnels (whatever they're called).

Because of this I need to move the alternator. I know of brackets which simply push the position down, but that would call for removal of other accessories. Does anyone know of a bracket, or simple method for moving the alternator to the location where the Secondary AIR Injection pump is? I have removed this pump and it's an open spot. Would this be possible, any info and links to brackets would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Alternator Relocation. New Hood Clearance Issue!-img_20120512_134227.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 PM
2nd Gear member

Nothing I've found would allow me to keep all accessories...at least without spending a ridiculous $400 just so I can keep my hood! WTF MATE!?

So, do you all think it's possible to just sand/grind down the casing of the alternator a bit until it fits properly? I'm not really sure how much would need to come off but I think it would be a better shot doing that rather than notching a hole into my new hood and ruining the ram air concept...gah

Old 05-18-2012, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What the heck is that hood designed to fit if it doesn't clear without issues like that? That sucks.
How much more clearance does the alternator need?

Old 05-18-2012, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear member

It's hard to gauge, but it looks like it will need some extra inches. I have no idea why this hood was marked as a fitment for a 93-97. I understand it's the 98+ style but still, it has no rippled contour lines as the older 4th gens have so I did assume it was actually made to fit. I'm not really taking a big loss, the hood came with the car when I purchased it two yrs ago and has just been sitting around. But a lot of time and effort was put into prep and paint.

I could potentially try to find a cheap 93-97 SS hood, just sell my 98+ hood as is for a decent price since it's already painted and ready to go and just deal with it. Damn it! lol

Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Wait, it that an actual 98+ hood, or a 93-97 hood styled like the 98+ ram air (what I thought you were meaning)?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM
2nd Gear member

I thought it was a 93-97 hood styled like the 98+ SS. The underside of the hood was marked as such. However I believe I just found the original manufacturer and I'm pretty sure someone just wrote BS on the underside.

This is EXACTLY like mine, pretty sure I fell for it
98-02 Chevy Camaro SS Functional Ram Air Fiberglass Hood by AIT

Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Well that explains it then. Plus, the Camaro LS1 has the alternator mounted way low, like below the power steering pump low. You probably wouldn't have been happy with the contour mis-fit in front even if it did clear!

Old 05-18-2012, 05:29 PM
2nd Gear member

Yea, for now I'm only out $200 for paint/time spent for a buddy of mine to do the work. So, the hood sells for $400 by AIT ready for prep then paint...so with a fresh coat of base/clear on it I'm gonna see if I can get anyone to bite for a few bucks more.

There are no contour lines on this though, another reason I fell for it. :/

Attached Thumbnails Alternator Relocation. New Hood Clearance Issue!-img_20120518_152500.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So is that the hood in question, on your car? How is it that it fits closed now, did you remove the alternator?
That hood doesn't look like it's designed to fit a 98+, not on the topside anyway.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 05-18-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear member

That's it on my car now. You can't really tell in the image posted but the left side raises up a bit and sits about 3/4 to an inch off/higher than it should due to resting on the alternator. I'm only using it so I have a hood while we spray my old stock hood and put it back on. The fitment would be fine if it didn't catch on the alternator. It's even advertised by AIT as the 93-97 SS hood But maybe that just refers to the style, idk. It would be perfectly fine fitment wise, as for the fenders and front end clearance, it's just the pesky alternator.

I may end up keeping it though and knotching the ram air funnel that rubs, doing some more fiberglass work to fill it back in concave so the alternator doesn't rub. If you understand what I mean. But for now I'll just get the old hood sprayed and put back on. We can fiddle with that pesky hood later. Unless someone on the boards lives near by and would like a 98-02 style SS hood?

Quick Reply: Alternator Relocation. New Hood Clearance Issue!