Alternator Mount/Bracket Broke...OMG!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:47 AM
Default Alternator Mount/Bracket Broke...OMG!

I've tirelessly searched the internet and cannot seem to easily locate a plausible solution for my broken cast aluminum top alternator mount! I hope someone has an answer, and for that, I'd be eternally grateful! Here's the scoop:

I have a 1999 4th Gen Camaro w/ the 3800 series II v6 - I simply love this car! Anyway, I recently had a new 3800 Jasper put in and she's had new life ever sense. Anyway, yesterday, I started her up and noticed a sputterish cough followed by the alt/chk gauge light. The air stopped blowing cold and power steering went out...that's when I immediately shut her down, raised the hood only to find the serpentine disconnected, fully intact just as it was brand new. I started inspecting the idler pully, etc. and eventually stumbled upon the culprit: the top right mount of the alternator had stress-cracked or something, thus causing the alternator to warble and eventually slinging the belt.

I will attach pics (I hope) that show the "clean break" for more info. I do know a professional welder who says he'll weld it back, but the problem is, I don't know how to remove the broken mount! Anyone have an idea? I have a Manual, but it says nothing about it that I can find.

I also have another option, but not sure what to buy. A mechanic bud of mine suggested that I get an universal alternator mount instead of going to all that trouble. However, I don't know which one to buy or what configuration would suffice.

I sure hope someone has some good suggestions for me....please be kind b/c I'm totally mechanically retarded!

Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 AM
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

You can't find a listing for the alternator bracket because it's (supposed to be) part of the timing cover. Can your welder guy do it while it's still on the engine? If not, you're looking at opening a can of worms dismantling the front part of the engine to remove the cover.
Do you know if that mount was used to lift the engine up at all? Shouldn't have. Kind of weird for the alternator to break that.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:12 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you can look into the BMR race car mount, they're a little pricey ~100 bucks but it shouldn't be too hard to make it work

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmr-ab001/overview/

Old 07-25-2013, 02:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Unhappy

If your going to remove it to have it welded just get one of these.I have a cracked tensioner myself and have to get one

Attached Thumbnails Alternator Mount/Bracket Broke...OMG!-imag0255.jpg   Alternator Mount/Bracket Broke...OMG!-getimage.php.jpg  
Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 PM
2nd Gear member
Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Oh man, so that's not an attached part of the cover. Good news for him then, I sit corrected! That's an easier fix.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Oh man, so that's not an attached part of the cover. Good news for him then, I sit corrected! That's an easier fix.

Has to be one of the dumbest ideas GM came up with,attaching the tensioner to that piece

Old 07-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yeah no kidding. And seeing the slight difference in cost between a new and used piece, I would never bother with putting on an old used worn tensioner. Do it once and be done.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:01 PM
2nd Gear member

Also get the older style, I think 98-02 is when it changed and has two of those crappy plastic elbows, the older one just has the one at the top and a solid piece of aluminum at the bottom.

Quick Reply: Alternator Mount/Bracket Broke...OMG!