alternator dosent fit!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:43 AM
2nd Gear member
Default alternator dosent fit!

installed a new alternator yesterday only to find out hat it doesn't seem to fit. I have a 94 3.4l, only 2 of the three mounting bolts will fit at any one time with the third one not lining up properly, also the pulley seems to be off because it pulls the serp. belt forward on the water pump pulley.

What I assume are the two main mounting bolts, on the right and left in the picture, will fit but the top one will not (picture).

Name:  100_3032_zpse19a1aee.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  203.8 KB

top bolt misalignment

I never loosened those black brackets on the back, so I'm guessing the alternator is to blame.

Do I just need to exchange this part or should I remove those black brackets and re-install everything to see if that fixes the misalignment.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:48 AM
4th Gear Member

What's the part number on the box?

I'd double check to make sure got the right one before going too crazy.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 AM
2nd Gear member

I don't have the box, I brought my old one in and they just handed me the new one.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM
2nd Gear member

they were saying something about a 5 spoke housing and a 3 spoke housing being available , would that make a difference?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:27 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like you got a universal one. better call the shop and tell them you need to see that old one again and take that one back in. need to compare to make sure its not right.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear member

yeah, i'll be calling them on Monday, I hope they will do an even exchange.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

If that's a new aftermarket alternator (not rebuilt from a GM core), then that could be due to a slight difference in the housing, and the difference does look slight from here. Loosen all the mounting brackets, get all the bolts installed on the alternator, then button everything down. If the belt looks like it's tracking straight at that point, call it fine.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM
2nd Gear member

that sounds like a plan, it was an acdelco part so im hoping that loosening everything, mounting it and tightening all the brackets will be the fix.....I really don't feel like driving to the parts shop again...its the closest one to me that has acdelco and it 30 min away.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
If that's a new aftermarket alternator (not rebuilt from a GM core), then that could be due to a slight difference in the housing, and the difference does look slight from here. Loosen all the mounting brackets, get all the bolts installed on the alternator, then button everything down. If the belt looks like it's tracking straight at that point, call it fine.

well, I tried that and it didn't work. looks like i'll be heading back to the parts store on Monday.

it seems that slight difference in the housing you mentioned is making the front of the alternator turn to the passenger side and is causing the misalignment....and yes it is slight. damn

Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is there a tag or sticker on the alt with a part number? when i switched to a larger amp alternator on my lt1 one of the braces would not fit, the short one, and it really didnt do much so i left it out, theres two mounts and a brace still and it doesnt move at all. if it dont line up it really doesnt matter. sucks, maybe look up the part numbers rock has for yours so you have something to compare what they have.

Quick Reply: alternator dosent fit!