all help/tips are welcome

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:09 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Exhaust is about the easiest and cheapest way to change sound with out tearing into the motor and swapping cams.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 PM

Iv already got aftermarket exhaust. Guy I bought it off of had magna flows on it. I don't like the sound of it at all

Old 06-07-2013, 11:11 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

Well you can change the brand different brands different sounds, I had a flowmaster on my old 97 z28 and it had a nice tone. Now on my 98 ss I have gmmg/MadHammer chambered on it and I love the sound on it. Go on you tube and listen to different setups might find something you like. I'm like you I can't stand the sound of magnaflows

Old 06-08-2013, 02:56 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a V6 3.8 so I will try to give you good advice. If you want a V8, buy a V8. Don't try to upgrade what you have to a V8. There are some mod's you can do to improve performance.

You have to remember that any engine is like a air pump, the more air you get in and the more air you get out the better the performance. This goes for all cars, even Fords'. Removing your Air Baffle "Air Reserve Box", a Cold Air Intake and improving your exhaust system are cheep upgrades.

Many on this board will advise you not to remove your Air Baffle because of over heating but I believe differently. If an engine over heats, it's not because it's getting to much air.

Enjoy your ride!

Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 AM

I was thinking of doing flowmasters. around here to put brand new exaust on is only 200$ I want a v8. but im trying to save money for a newer car/truck. I just wanna tune it to wear it sounds good but I get more power. not v8 power but more than I have now. thanks for all the help!!

Old 06-08-2013, 10:46 AM
1st Gear Member

If you do an exhaust, look at after cat back systems. They sound good and will boost your HP by reducing back pressure.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:48 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfmfim
Many on this board will advise you not to remove your Air Baffle because of over heating but I believe differently. If an engine over heats, it's not because it's getting to much air.
I think you have the terms air baffle and air dam mixed up.

When we talk about the possibility of a car overheating we are talking about not removing the air dam which is situated under the car and has no effect on how much air is going into the engine but does affect how much air goes through the radiator. Because our cars don't have a big open grill, we need that air dam to 'scoop' up air and push it through the radiator.

All an air baffle does is help keep noise from the intake down to add to creature comforts. It has no affect on how cool the engine will run.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:51 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rlaw40
I was thinking of doing flowmasters. I just wanna tune it to wear it sounds good but I get more power. not v8 power but more than I have now. thanks for all the help!!
Unfortunately, in my experience, these two don't go together. Flowmasters sound good, I won't deny that. But I've seen tests showing stock exhausts out flow some Flowmasters, if I can find them I'll post them up but my computer took a dumb a week ago and I lost everything. But go on youtube and listen to some different V6 Camaro exhausts and see what sounds closest to what you're going for and go for that.

Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Thanks for the help guys! As far as air intakes go what do y'all think is best? And how hard is it to change the fuel filter? Fixing to do a tune up and i wanna get to that

Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

fuel filter is not that hard. 4th Gen LT1 F-body Fuel Filter Replacement

Quick Reply: all help/tips are welcome