Acelerator Control ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM
2nd Gear member

What type of scanner did you use? I suggest finding somebody with a Tech 2 or equivalent. Other than power, the only thing in common with the ABS and SIR(Airbags) control is the data line. It is possible that is cut somewhere between the PCM and the star connector under the dash next to the steering column. The instrument panel gauge cluster is also on that line.

BTW, looking at the schematics, apparently the ABS module has some control over the ASM, perhaps to kill the throttle in an emergency stop situation.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-24-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM

Massey I was using the Equus 3320 Auto-Range Digital Multimeter, I did not have those lights on before the accident they, came up after the accident and no the Air Bags did not pop. The impact was not hard enough to move the engine and transmission, most of the impact was actually on the front driver side wheel, the impact bent the lower control arm and moved the wheel back about 4 inches I replaced the lower control arm. I checked all the connections by the fuse box headlights and ABS I did not check the speed sensor on the transmission I will check that tonight and the scanner that I used is about $100 scanner that I think basically reads engine codes.
Gary like I said I don’t think the scanner that I used is very good is the Equuis OBD II Reader http://www.automation-drive.com/EX/05-15-11/EQU3100.jpg I have checked almost everything under the hood and under the car and everything looks fine. I guess tonight I will check under the dashboard.

Thanks
I guess if I don’t find any issues under the dashboard I will take the car to the shop I don’t know what else to do!
=:0(

Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

your cruse control box is under the frame on the driver side. i would check it out. http://shbox.com/1/cruise_module.jpg you may have damaged it

Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM

Craby the cruise control unit looks OK from the outside not bent or broken or nothing of that matter, wires and plug are fine. Would I need to remove it and take it apart?

Old 01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Overdrive Member

The ABS module has everything to do with your Traction system, and yes it can pull the throttle off if it needs to.

You need a scanner that can read body and ABS codes to find out what is going on. I have an Eequis scanner that can read and display ABS codes but body codes that relate to the BCM and SIRS I need a Tech II or one of the other way too expensive scanners. If the hit you had was hard enough it could have set the front sensor SIR but not a second sensor that would have been required to inflate the bags. The system in these cars requires 2 tripped sensors to trigger, there are 2 on the front and one in the console near the shifter. Once one of these are set they dont unset and must be replaced. That could easily cause the SIR light to be on.

Massey

Old 01-27-2014, 09:12 PM
2nd Gear member

You cannot use a scanner to see the BCM trouble codes, but you can flash them using the procedure in the service manual.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:06 PM
Overdrive Member

That is a handy little chart there. The Tech II can pull any code stored in the BCM, clear the codes stored in memory and also flash the BCM's software. I dont know if scanners from MAC and SNAP-ON and others can do this as they are not GM only scanners. I think I am going to try and put my BCM in diagnostics mode and try the door locks to see if it will lock the driver's door. My local dealer wants $100 to flash my BCM and no guarentee on the results. I dont feel like thowing $100 away... If the flash fixes it then fine but if it dont then... OH and the same dealer has been trying to tell me the BCM in my car is a dumb BCM but they will flash it for me... Dumb BCM's cant be flashed, their function is preordained by the circuitry, the 98+ BCM's have a microprocessor in them and can be loaded with different software based on the options of the vehicle.

Massey

Old 01-28-2014, 09:25 PM
2nd Gear member

Do you own a genuine Tech II? I do, and it does not offer the ability to read anything from the BCM. This is not surprising since the Tech II connects only to the DLC and the BCM has no connection to the DLC.
By the way, it is not possible to clear active BCM trouble codes. The "flash" procedure does however allow you to erase history codes only.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Overdrive Member

No I dont own the Tech II, I did work for GM when these cars were still new and I used a Tech II on more than one occasion to diagnose keyless entry and security system issues, which are part of the BCM's functions not the PCM. My Truck has no communication to the BCM from the DLC, my truck has a dumb BCM. I do remember having to link the Tech II to the GM system and download a file to the mem card before I linked to the car's security or keyless system. When I did flash the BCMs I had to load the BCM software based on the vehicles VIN and then through the DLC load the new image to the BCM with the Tech II. After this was over I had to relearn the chip in the key, the stereo and reprogram the key fobs, so yes this would also zero out any codes stored. Cars that came without keyless entry used a different BCM that we never flashed, we just replaced it when they would cause starting issues and stereo issues. The cars with Keyless entry we would try to flash before replacment. Not sure what the difference is between your unit and the one I used at the Pontiac/GMC dealer I worked for was but I did pull body codes from the BCM's systems.

Massey

Old 02-04-2014, 12:59 PM

OK guys Thank you all for your help. It turns out that the problem with my car was just the cable from the gas pedal to the Accelerator Control. Last Saturday morning when I was about to take the car to the shop I started the car inside my garage and the lights for “ABS NON OP” and “TCS OFF” did not come on, the only light in the dashboard that stayed on was the one for Air Bag. The accelerator still did not work. I left the car in the shop and the next day they called me that the car was working and that it was just the accelerator wire. They were able to make it work but advised me that it had to be replaced. They called several auto parts stores and no one had the cable and the dealership said that it was discontinued. Today the guys at the shop are going to make some calls to try to find it. They said that a dealership in Texas had one in stock but to call back today to see if they found it. Hopefully they do find it otherwise my next mission is to find that cable. The light for Air Bag is still ON that will be checked next time I take it to the shop when I find the accelerator cable.

Thanks Everybody!

Quick Reply: Acelerator Control ? ?