Ac questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:28 AM
Default Ac questions

I am putting a v8 in my camaro out of an 83 camaro. Is there anyway to use the existing ac? Will the lines from the 83 screw in to the 97 ac box

Old 05-04-2017, 07:04 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You would need to use the AC compressor from the 97 since the two system control pressure differently the 83 turned on and off the compressor while the 97 just varies the compressor output. I believe you will need to make brackets, it might be worth it to look at the LT1 bracket, it might be easier to modify that then to start from scratch. Bracket will be the easy part. The controls for your AC unit in the 97 are run by the body control module. The Body Control Module needs the PCM to work. Once you disconnect the PCM from the car Nothing in your dash, including the AC control, is going to work. In 97 I don't even think your power window and door locks are going to work.

You are going to have to rewire the whole car. Most guys give up on the AC first. All the gages and wiring of the dash is where you going to spend a lot of money and hours.

Also keep in mind any engine put in an 83 camaro from the factory will have less HP then a 3800. The 305's they put in them will have a tuff time pushing around a 3500 pound car. Also you will need the trans form the 83. It is just a LOT of work to put in a motor that has less HP and gets about 75% of the MPG. You can replace the 3800 for about $400.

Last edited by Gorn; 05-04-2017 at 09:12 AM.