Ac Compressor Shot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 PM
Exclamation Ac Compressor Shot?

Okay so heres the deal. About a month ago I noticed that the ac wasn't blowing cold anymore so I decided to fill it with the bottle you can get from any local auto parts store. I got the right refrigerant version and everything. So I read the instructions twice over and then went about it. Everything went fine and so I let it run for a couple minutes why I filled my brothers car. I look over and refrigerant is shooting out under the alternator (the compressor?) so I go to pull the keys out and as soon as I open the door I notice the whole cabin is filled with refrigerant. I shut it all of and spray down the engine with a hose. Now when I start the car the ac is still hot, the compressor will not kick on, and there is some intense bearing whining going on. Do you guys think that replacing my ac compressor would do the trick? I had a friend look at the car and he said what could have possibly happened is that the front seal on the compressor blew and that's why its shot. What do you guys think?

Old 08-15-2012, 01:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Where is the noise coming from? Can you get under there and pull the belt and spin the compressor to see if the noise is coming from there? If so, yeah definitely replace it. It isn't TOO terrible of a job to do. Pull the belt, unbolt the 3-4 mounting bolts, unbolt the lines, disconnect the wire, compressor comes right out.

Careful with the hard line thingy that mounts to the back of the compressor. I couldn't get mine to seal up when I replaced it, need to tackle it again but its been over 110 degrees here every weekend so I haven't been too excited to work on it, total catch-22 situation.

It's a good idea to evac the system before recharging. I've had decent luck using the gauges and vacuum pump that you can buy at Harbor Freight for about $150 for both. Make sure you put some oil in the system, I think its PAG 150 but don't quote me on that.

Also they say you should replace the drier when replacing the compressor otherwise you can lose out on the warranty.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

sounds like you have a bad evaporator (its the only component inside the cabin). as for the compressor leak maybe a blown oring (could be the initial cause of the bad ac) like ATL said, grab the front of the compressor with your hand and see if its making any noises. also if you do have to replace the compressor, its the expansion valve that need to be replaced not the dryer.

Last edited by BasicConcepts; 08-15-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 AM
3rd Gear Member

Let us know what you end up doing.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:53 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
its the expansion valve that need to be replaced not the dryer.
When I bought a replacement compressor for my '99 Tahoe at O'Reilly, they had me buy a drier with it or I would have forfeited the warranty on the compressor.

Never heard of an expansion valve needing to be replaced... but I'm glad you brought it up. My system is open now, not sure when I'll wrap it up, but since it is empty I'll pick up a replacement valve and put it in, looks like it is under $20.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

the dryer should be replaced with the condenser

Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM
3rd Gear Member

You want to keep the warranty valid.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Alright so heres where im at, I called up my parts guy and ordered the ac compressor. I know how to take the old one off and put the new one on and everything. But I also need to have my system flushed correct? And the dryer, is that a whole separate piece from the actual compressor itself?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

I think they have to pull a vacuum in your system before you can refill.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Yeah I have to get it vacuumed.

Quick Reply: Ac Compressor Shot?