AC Compressor Rebuild Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 PM
2nd Gear member
Default AC Compressor Rebuild Kits

Are there any available for the compressors on the V8? I cant find anything doing a search. Also would need a new clutch. I have some AC tools for pulling the clutches etc. I did rebuilds on the older A6 compressors before which was essentially an O ring kit... But I think if there was a kit I could buy, Id be able to tackle it.

Old 06-05-2014, 11:08 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think its cheaper to get a rebuilt pump.

Old 06-05-2014, 01:31 PM
2nd Gear member

Rock Auto has the compressor (rebuilt), dryer and expansion valve for $230.00 shipped...Ill probably go that way.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I got mine off ebay. They are the China knock offs but I doubt the at 230 you are getting OEM.

What makes you think it needs rebuilt?

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I got mine off ebay. They are the China knock offs but I doubt the at 230 you are getting OEM.

What makes you think it needs rebuilt?
Its never worked even when I purchased the car the first time....previous owner said he couldnt remember when it worked last. Its original and has 150k miles on it. The bearing is definately shot because it really noisy even when spun by hand. At this point I have the water pump and balancer out from doing the distributor and it looks a whole lot easier to do now rather than put it all back together then do it later.

When I disassembled it, there was no hiss sound from the lines when I took them loose from the back of the compressor and no oil leaking from it, no smell, nothing, just dry. So, I figure with a new compressor, dryer and expansion valve to start with, Ill have the system vacumed down, then refilled. Pretty much the only thing left to fail would be the condenser...which is likely ok.

The kit I mention is by Four seasons... any good?

Last edited by 2Z's; 06-05-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:24 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a FYI the most common cause of AC leaks is 1: The front seal in the compressor 2: a crack in the main line off the back of the compressor 3: Stone damage to the condenser.

To do the job right you vacuum down the system and charge it up track down the leak. It would also be helpful to hear the current compressor run. When you said you wanted to rebuild it I assumed you had metal in the system. If you can hear it run and it does not sound bad al least you do not have to flush the system to get metal out.

Oil not coming out of the back of the compressor in a system that was not charged is normal. Without refrigerant there is nothing to carry the oil and it just drains back to the condenser/evaporator/drier.

I listed the most common issues but it could be a bad pressure switch or just a split o-ring anywhere in the system. Of course a new dryer is needed any time a system has been down for awhile.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:54 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Just a FYI the most common cause of AC leaks is 1: The front seal in the compressor 2: a crack in the main line off the back of the compressor 3: Stone damage to the condenser.

To do the job right you vacuum down the system and charge it up track down the leak. It would also be helpful to hear the current compressor run. When you said you wanted to rebuild it I assumed you had metal in the system. If you can hear it run and it does not sound bad al least you do not have to flush the system to get metal out.

Oil not coming out of the back of the compressor in a system that was not charged is normal. Without refrigerant there is nothing to carry the oil and it just drains back to the condenser/evaporator/drier.

I listed the most common issues but it could be a bad pressure switch or just a split o-ring anywhere in the system. Of course a new dryer is needed any time a system has been down for awhile.
Thank you. I did go ahead and buy the compressor,dryer and expansion valve last night. like I said, putting it all back together,then finding out the compressor is noisy or needs the front seal would be crappy... man, that compressor is packed in there tight!

Upon my examination, I did find the dirtiest part of the compressor was around the front and underside of it. The lines from the back were clean and dry, no oily residue... Dont know how indicitave of a clue those are, b ut thats just what I saw.

Im hoping that the compressor,dryer and expansion valve all being new will be a good start to fixing whatever was wrong.... My thought was to replace any moving part in the system as it would probably have the best chance of being worn out. For $226.54 for all 3, its not too bad of a gamble.