ac compressor grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 07:00 PM
Default ac compressor grinding noise

Well, I tried to refill my ac with a can from autozone, got about 2min into it(supposed to be 10-15) my compressor started smoking right around the pulley. Thought it was just leaking and burning up. But now it dont smoke anymore, but it makes a grinding/scratching kinda noise. Pulley is still turning(looks to be at full speed) constant. Any ideas? Thanks yall!

v6

Old 06-04-2013, 07:17 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the clutch fried. does the center of the pulley spin with the outside or no

Old 06-04-2013, 07:29 PM

nope, but it dont in my dodge either. And it aint making any noise. So I figured it was normal, Am i wrong?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the center should spin when its engauged. when you turn on the ac the clutch should ingauge and spin the pump.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:03 PM

thank you for the quick reply.. ok its not turning and i got a refill kit with a gauge on it but it is just reading zero.. if i overfilled it it would fry right? and if so why am i getting nothing on the gauge?

Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

its not compressing if compressor is not turning. should have pressure though. i wonder if the smoke you seen was refrigerant and its empty. any indications of holes in any of the hoses or pipes around where the smoke came from.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:17 PM

no. the refridge i used was also a leak detectant and sealer. after it started smoking i stopped using it still got at least a half a can of it. now when i turn it on just a loud grinding scrachy noise from the compressor and the center of it wont turn with pulley.
should i buy a new can of a/c refridge and try it again?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:38 PM
2nd Gear member

Is the A/C working now as far as cooling? The noise could mean the compressor is on its way out. I would start by hooking up some ac manifold gauges and see what the pressures in the system are. If your system was empty or low that means there is a leak somewhere so start looking for dye after you run the ac for a while. Remember to check around the compressor shaft for leaks too the seals go bad and the compressor itself can leak the refrigerant. I worked on a silverado today that came in with no ac and a noisy compressor. I evacuated the system and only pulled .06 lbs out of it so i knew it was leaking and the service history showed that it had the system charge last summer and had dye put in it. I used a UV light and found that the compressor was leaking refrigerant from the shaft seals pretty badly.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:10 AM

no im getting no cold air. and when i hook a gauge to the low side pressure valve it stays at zero. also it just started making the noise after i attempted to refill it. (any suggestions will help and be greatly appreciated) i wonder if the refill i used was ****? because it didnt have a gauge and had a button i had to hold to allow the refridge enter the system.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:00 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The gage is not reading right, If you had zero pressure the compressor would not even try to run. You have a low pressure switch that is designed to protect the compressor. Unless you jumped the switch?

If the compressor was bad to start with or you over filled it does not really matter at this point. You need the big fix. New compressore, New drier and if there is ANY metal in the lines your going to need a new expansion valve and the system flushed. I would say 50% of the time when there is a loud compressor noise there is metal in the lines

Quick Reply: ac compressor grinding noise