abs inop light/no rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default abs inop light/no rear brakes

i bought this 95 camaro a couple of weeks ago it has been bottoming out and i just put new bump stops on it since old ones were completly rotted away i have noticed car only works on front brakes i put a fuse in car where it had one missing and it turns the abs inop light on when i had the back wheels off i took the brake drums off and inspected them it has good pads but the rear brakes do not do anything at all they dont even try to grab ahold when you touch the brakes all brake lines look good

Old 10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

ok i know i have brake fluid going from the main master to the box in the left front corner of the car where all the lines go to each wheel. i took the line off that runs to the rear brakes and took off the brake lines at the rear i can blow compressed air threw the system also where the line comes from the box there is a sensor of some kind on top i took it off it had 2 star head screws that held it on. there is brake fluid under it but i cant seem to figure out why the brake fluid will not go in the line and to the rear anyone got any thoughts on this

Old 10-20-2011, 05:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

anyone???? would i be waisting my time replacing the abs pump out cause that seems to be where the issue is at not letting brake fluid go threw the rear brake line i can loosen the other lines and fluid comes threm them

Old 10-20-2011, 07:02 PM
2nd Gear member

I don't know for certain, but I have heard (and read online for what it is worth) that you need a special tool to cycle the ABS on these cars to properly bleed the brake system. If that is indeed true, then it would seem that you have a huge air bubble in the rear brake lines.

You can call a couple of brake shops around you and maybe verify that. Or, you can get the ABS computer scanned to see if it has any codes stored.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You blew dirty shop air into your brake system? Bad move.

When you say you have no back brakes do you mean you have no movement in the wheel cylinder at all with the car running and and pressing the brake. The reason I ask is GM spent a lot of time and money to design a ABS that would never stop the flow of brake fluid no matter what failed. The only failer that is is possible is that the ABS stops working. It is like a 1 in a million change for the ABS system could cause the lose of brakes. At least that is what GM told us in training. On the other hand drum brakes that are miss adjusted are very common. I have would on 100s of car that the back brakes did nothing because of adjustment.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:26 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i blew threw the rear brake lines to make sure they were not clogged up and to get any trash out of them.the abs pump will not let brake fluid go threw the brake line that goes to the rear and no the rear wheel cylinders do nothing at all the pistons that push out to apply the brakes are not stuck either they are functional and yes when i took the drums off they fell off i have adjusted they like they need to be but i cant get brake fluid to come threw line coming from abs pump

Old 10-21-2011, 02:54 PM
2nd Gear member

Gorn, since you have been through some actual GM training, do you know if a special tool is needed to properly bleed the brakes on our cars? Or will the old fashioned rubber hose and soda bottle do the trick?

I only ask because I have heard conflicting information on the older ABS systems. Some places say no problem, while others say you need the special tool that scans the ABS for codes to properly bleed the brakes.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well went to the junk yard and bought a abs pump, door lock, fuse box cover and a trunk panel that hides whats in the trunk all for $35 bucks just put the abs pump in and it fixed it i now have rear breaks and you dont need a special tool to bleed the breaks old fashioned way works

Old 10-21-2011, 05:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

also made the break light and abs inop light go away

Old 10-21-2011, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear member

Well, good to know. That turned out to be a pretty cheap repair for you.

Quick Reply: abs inop light/no rear brakes