99 z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 PM

So what do you guys think??
Should i take the risk, and go with my gut and get the car?
I just gave a call to the guy, and told him about the issue with the NAM title, he said that when he comes down here, after we smog it and if it passes, he told me to just give him 3k, and that he wont go down anymore

Old 10-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by joelCamaroSS
*UPDATE
I asked him that i noticed in the pic that i took that i seen green/yellow ish grime. He said when he picked up the car the hood had been open for a while and that the sun may have faded it.
Ya, because Black plastic, Black painted steel and the black rubber hose would all fade to a yelloish green at the same rate from sun light. He is either a moron or a complete liar. Either way spend the $60-$80 to get the car checked out by a professional mechanic. If that is a flood car it may drive fine today but it is not fixable in terms of making it a dependable car, or I should say you could buy a low miles mint SS for what it would cost to fix it right.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-24-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Ya, because Black plastic, Black painted steel and the black rubber hose would all fade to a yelloish green at the same rate from sun light. He is either a moron or a complete liar. Either way spend the $60-$80 to get the car checked out by a professional mechanic. If that is a flood car it may drive fine today but it is not fixable in terms of making it a dependable car, or I should say you could buy a low miles mint SS for what it would cost to fix it right.
OK, I will ask how much it will cost to get it checked out. Oh and it should be on the lift as well right?

Old 10-24-2012, 09:14 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Yes a pro would want it on a lift. NOT someone he knows. If you do not know a mechanic try to find one thru a friend. $80 seems like a lot to spend checking a car out but it is well worth. Walking a way from a nightmare with a $80 loss is a lot better then what I have seen people go thru when they get a lemon.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-25-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
1st Gear Member

I found it odd that he told you the green/yellows is from parking it for a long time with the hood up and its faded the engine..

Who parks a car with the hood up? No one that i know of, so he is hiding something there. Like they said, take it to a shop to have a quick inspection by a tech. I would rather be out $50 bucks then 3400 any day. Yes dealers tech charge $20-25 an hour for their time to look at your car.. It should not take longer then 1 hour, 2 if he wants to go all out for you (which is still worth it).

Old 10-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Google the VIN and see if anything turns up. Many of the insurance claim cars go to online insurance auctions, and something may pop up if it was an insurance flood car, or an insurance car for whatever reason.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

$3000 is close to the "no title" part out value of a running LS1 6 speed. Is it worth 3K is up to what you have plans for it.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Google the VIN and see if anything turns up. Many of the insurance claim cars go to online insurance auctions, and something may pop up if it was an insurance flood car, or an insurance car for whatever reason.
I already Googled the vin, but nothing poped up. But I did run a car FAX on it. Only thing wrong that I saw was that it had a NAM title...
Btw guys, that number on the intake is what they put on after you buy a part from the junkyard right?
I feel dumb asking this, but what is the possibility that I have a 5.3 or a 6.0 and not Really a true ls1?

Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Yes a pro would want it on a lift. NOT someone he knows. If you do not know a mechanic try to find one thru a friend. $80 seems like a lot to spend checking a car out but it is well worth. Walking a way from a nightmare with a $80 loss is a lot better then what I have seen people go thru when they get a lemon.
I just went through the Chevy dealer, and they told me id be around $90. I told them my concerns about the car and they said no problem, they'll inspect it

Old 10-25-2012, 07:54 PM
2nd Gear member

I sure wish I had done that before I bought mine. I bought it out of state though so would have been a bit harder for me. I've had mine way too long now to part with it.