99 z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 PM
Default 99 z28 Camaro

Hey guys, so i saw this ad on craigslist for sale
Its a 99 camaro z28 with the ls1 and t56 tranny
It has a stage 1 paint job, and 95 thousand miles
The guy was asking 3900 for it, and i thought that was a good price so i went ahead and went to go check it out
Ill tell you what that car has some power. Each gear went in with ought a problem. The only issue that it has is that, when im in first gear, at a certain rpm it tells me to shift to 4th gear and locks me from going into 2nd gear.The guy said that it needs a new skip shift eliimenator wiring harness?
Also the A/C isint functioning correctly, but the compressor is not locked up. im not sure what the issue is but he said that he will pour anti freeze into it and see what happenes.
The interior isint the best, but there is no rips at all on the seats just that its a bit dirty and a couple of light stains
In the end i brought him down to 3400, catch is that i have to smog the car. Though the car was smogged last year and it passed
Do you guys think its a good deal? Or should i look elsewhere?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:06 PM

Also i took a snap shot of these numbers that was on the intake manifold...should i be concerned about this? What are those numbers?
Name:  IMAG0565.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  75.9 KB
Name:  IMAG0564.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  75.9 KBName:  IMAG0571-1.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  78.1 KB

Old 10-22-2012, 09:52 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joelCamaroSS
Each gear went in with ought a problem. The only issue that it has is that, when im in first gear, at a certain rpm it tells me to shift to 4th gear and locks me from going into 2nd gear.The guy said that it needs a new skip shift eliimenator wiring harness?

Also the A/C isint functioning correctly, but the compressor is not locked up. im not sure what the issue is but he said that he will pour anti freeze into it and see what happenes.
Manual trans cars required this. It was for economy and emission purposes only. You can buy an eliminator for around $30.

Second, I hope he's not pouring anti-freeze in the A/C system since it only takes R134a...and I'm not sure how you'd get it in to begin with.

Last edited by MKCoconuts; 10-22-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

at $3400 I'd have already bought that car...

Old 10-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would be more concerned about the yellow tint everything has on it. Is it pollen? The price is really good, Scary good. I would get a mechinic to check it before I took it on a long drive. I would ask for a pressure test on the coolant systemYou might want to get the oil pressure check also. If you want to do the tests yourself we can talk you through it.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Gorn
I would be more concerned about the yellow tint everything has on it. Is it pollen?
To me, that yellow looks green. It resembles pond scum, as if the car once took a "bath" in a slimy lake. I'd check it over carefully to make sure it's not a flood car, because it might be. And yeah, if it doesn't have any hidden problems, that's one hell of a deal.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:03 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Your right about the green, Last time I saw a motor that looked like that the upper rad hose popped off and soaked the motor is slimy green anti-freeze.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Well the owner told me that when he bought the car, he got it from a "hill billy" That it was basically out in a barn and that its been sitting for a while
He pressure washed the engine but that green/yellow "scum" stayed there.
I asked my dad what he though about the color on the intake, and he said i shouldn't wory to much about it
Quick question, is the computer located on the passenger side under the hood?
Oh and i forgot to mention other couple of details. it has a little ding about and inch long on the hood. The passenger side seat seems like its a little loose, maybe a bolt is loose or i need to replace the brackets
The drivers side front panel is not lined correctly, you can see on the pics
And finally, im not sure but i have a feeling that the vin plate on the dash may have been tampered with. The reason why i think this is b/c of the shape of the rivit on the plate. Is supposed to be like that? And there is also scratches on the top left side of the plate?
Now that i have listed all these things, is 3,400 still a good price?

Name:  IMAG0560.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0561.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  131.3 KB

Last edited by joelCamaroSS; 10-23-2012 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

It would be worth running a carfax on. Especially if you think the vin has been tampered with. That price is the same as I paid for my 94 with twice the miles. I hate to be sceptical, but I would be sceptical on this one.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 PM

*UPDATE
The owner contacted me today to tell me that the a/c is now funtioning properly. He says that the free in is being held and sees no leaks
I asked him that i noticed in the pic that i took that i seen green/yellow ish grime. He said when he picked up the car the hood had been open for a while and that the sun may have faded it.