99 LS1, smoking and I'm not talking about rubber...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VicsLs1
Jokes aside, I am in need of a little more information. I have been driving this car for the last 2 weeks under these conditions and nothing has acted up- except the smoke. ( i only drive it 100-150 miles a week) When i first bought that car it was said to have electrical problems, and i agree with that. The car was in an accident and doesn't have airbags. Its not salvaged but it does have a new R fender and bumper... It could have been in an major accident or not, but thats a decision i put upon myself..

2 weeks after purchasing it, i had it ran at an automotive school my friend is in.. They hooked up my car to GM specified machines that can control my car through the computer and PCM... these codes popped up...

P0118- Engine Coolant Temp. (ECT) Senor Circuit High Voltage
P0200- Injector Control Circuit Problem
P0342- Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0449- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit Problem
P0645- Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Relay Control Circuit Problem
P0659- Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Problem
P0801- Reverse Inhibit Solenoid Control Circuit Problem--- THIS ONE SCARED ME
P1115- Engine Coolant Temp. (ECT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

IF I KNEW THAT ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS WERE PRESENT IN THIS VEHICLE , I WOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT THE CAR.
Don't get me wrong this car is perfect and drives smooth like no other Camaro that I have tested out... WAY better than a mustang...SORRY FORD.

To me this seems like a major problem... Ive have it checked at Firestone because my best friend is the GM at a local FS near my house. He checked my computer and most of these codes did not come up....

THIS IS A BUNCH ON CONFUSION...

any help is appreciated.. I have scheduled a full diagnostic for this Thursday/Friday, depending on availability. I hardly drive it, but when I do, its 45 miles at a time... San Jose to San Francisco, once or twice a week....

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to check this post out and to those who are willing to give useful information for me to know...

THANKS ONCE AGAIN
those are stored codes and may not actually be a problem today

does it or does it not make a ticking/knocking sound?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:16 PM

Occasionally it'll make a tapping sound. A tap or knock sound was around when it first started smoking. I haven't heard it since ... But , now I hear some sound that sounds like bubbling coolant?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:28 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by VicsLs1
Occasionally it'll make a tapping sound. A tap or knock sound was around when it first started smoking. I haven't heard it since ... But , now I hear some sound that sounds like bubbling coolant?

when?

do your fans kick on? The easiest way to tell is to turn on your A/C

do you have the air dam underneath?

The $1,000 is still offered.....................6 speed LS1....ummmmmm

Old 12-02-2011, 12:56 PM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
when?

do your fans kick on? The easiest way to tell is to turn on your A/C

do you have the air dam underneath?

The $1,000 is still offered.....................6 speed LS1....ummmmmm
Would there be a problem for one who doesnt? Mine was warped from age and highway debri so I took it off

Old 12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iLL95
Would there be a problem for one who doesnt? Mine was warped from age and highway debri so I took it off
WHOA

Lost in space robot DANGER WILL - YouTube

YES!!!! please go get an air dam

Old 12-02-2011, 01:24 PM
I Like to Party

No danger here, I havent driven it since I took it off and I still have it. I can just go bolt it right back on.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:46 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by iLL95
No danger here, I havent driven it since I took it off and I still have it. I can just go bolt it right back on.
good

with my 4th gen the fans work fine at keeping it cool but the 3rd gen not so much

if you look at the fronts of the 3rd and 4th gens as well as vettes you'll notice no grill. The air dam underneath is what makes for air to pass through the radiator

I'm no scientist and don't know if it's air being redirected or a pressure difference which causes a vacuum. I do know that with the air dam, my 4th gen runs nailed up at 180 degrees on the highway (180 thermo) so the fans never kick on (tuned to come on at 200)

Old 12-03-2011, 12:13 AM
I Like to Party

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
good

with my 4th gen the fans work fine at keeping it cool but the 3rd gen not so much

if you look at the fronts of the 3rd and 4th gens as well as vettes you'll notice no grill. The air dam underneath is what makes for air to pass through the radiator

I'm no scientist and don't know if it's air being redirected or a pressure difference which causes a vacuum. I do know that with the air dam, my 4th gen runs nailed up at 180 degrees on the highway (180 thermo) so the fans never kick on (tuned to come on at 200)
Nice,appreciate the input. Learned something new.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:37 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ill start your own thread. to the op, i would do a pressure test on the cooling system.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I Like to Party

Start the car, let it run for a few mins, open the hood and see if its bubbling, is there any coolant sludge built up inside the system?

Quick Reply: 99 LS1, smoking and I'm not talking about rubber...