99 LS1, smoking and I'm not talking about rubber...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 11:46 AM
Exclamation 99 LS1, smoking and I'm not talking about rubber...

How is it going everybody? Hope that everyone is doing fine during this holiday weekend. I'm doing lovely but my z28 isn't..... It is a 99 z28 6spd with 123k on it.. Original everything...

My friend has been helping me out with this situation but recently, it has gotten worse. It has been smoking for the last 1 1/2 weeks... Smells like oil, but then it also smells sweet like coolant.. I was told that it could be a problem with a push rod and what it is connected too. I could be stating this wrong , but let me explain further... This morning after filling up, I was driving down a hill in neutral and when I got to the stop sign, my car was up in smoke, both outside and inside.. seems like the smoke came through the vents. I left the car on and automatically parked and went under the hood. The smoke was coming from the left side of the engine towards the back near the spark plugs and coils. Smoke was also hovering around the PCM.. I also noticed that some liquid was dripping off of the coils or something near that, on to the exhaust manifold. It smoked for about 2-3 min giving off a sweet and oil smell, more sweet than anything.... Also, when it smokes I sometimes hear a tap or a knock, on and off, but sometimes consistently... The car drives PERFECT, all gauges work perfect reading the correct temp,pressures.. I checked all my fluids while it was cold and while it was ran for a bit....

I AM VERY CONFUSED...

i have posted a couple of videos.. please let me know what you think...

Any information is appreciated.. thank you for taking the time to read through this post!!

Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the smoke is not coming from the exhaust pipe? sounds like a blown head gasket or a leaking intake gasket to me. sweet smell should be (antifreeze) coolant. check oil for coolant and coolant level.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I Like to Party

+2 on crabs, bugger always seems to answer first Definitely sounds like something on the intake side seeing as how you said left, im going with a gasket as well. Also as crabs mentioned if it were a blown gasket there would usually be sweet, white smoke coming from your tail pipes and coolant/ water in the oil because when a gasket is blown or leaking it allows for coolant to enter the internals of the engine

Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If there is coolant in the oil, don't run it, will destroy your bearings

Old 11-27-2011, 04:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Agree with Craby Sounds like coolant, and a bad head gasket won,t always allow water in oil or cylinder, it can leak to outside the block, without loosing a cylinder, either way best not be running until you get it figured out. Good luck let us know what you find.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 AM

I'm getting it checked this morning. I believe I also have a bad heater core?... And also, no smoke comes out of the tail pipe. At first it was an oil smell, now I can no longer smell burning oil, it's just a sweet smell... All my levels are perfectly fine. Drives fine, it just smokes ..

Old 11-28-2011, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear member

Sweet smell usually points to coolant. When my Mustang blew the head gaskets I drove it home and that was it until I got it fixed.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:47 PM
I Like to Party

Yea sweet is a good indicator of coolant, I dont have smoke or anything but I occasionally smell the sweetness. Should probably look more into it..

Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
4th Gear Member

hmmmmmmm

6 speed LS1

it sounds fatal.

Being the nice guy that I am, I'll offer you $1,000 so you can go get something else.

OK, seriously now. (but I would offer the $1k if you'd take it)

The thing I don't like about using mileage as an indicator with older cars is that the engine could have spent a lot of time idling and in stop and go traffic. That would be more hours on the engine vs if the majority was highway miles.

With that said, the heads must come off. Sure you could try new head gaskets and hope for the best but you also mentioned a ticking or knocking. That requires investigation and repair.

13 year old vehicle, hours on engine unknown, already has a major issue

I'd drop it out and fix the engine so it gives me 13 more years. I wouldn't try to fix it for 6 months to 12 months more service.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:53 PM

Jokes aside, I am in need of a little more information. I have been driving this car for the last 2 weeks under these conditions and nothing has acted up- except the smoke. ( i only drive it 100-150 miles a week) When i first bought that car it was said to have electrical problems, and i agree with that. The car was in an accident and doesn't have airbags. Its not salvaged but it does have a new R fender and bumper... It could have been in an major accident or not, but thats a decision i put upon myself..

2 weeks after purchasing it, i had it ran at an automotive school my friend is in.. They hooked up my car to GM specified machines that can control my car through the computer and PCM... these codes popped up...

P0118- Engine Coolant Temp. (ECT) Senor Circuit High Voltage
P0200- Injector Control Circuit Problem
P0342- Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
P0449- Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Vent Solenoid Control Circuit Problem
P0645- Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Relay Control Circuit Problem
P0659- Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Problem
P0801- Reverse Inhibit Solenoid Control Circuit Problem--- THIS ONE SCARED ME
P1115- Engine Coolant Temp. (ECT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

IF I KNEW THAT ALL OF THESE PROBLEMS WERE PRESENT IN THIS VEHICLE , I WOULD HAVE NEVER BOUGHT THE CAR.
Don't get me wrong this car is perfect and drives smooth like no other Camaro that I have tested out... WAY better than a mustang...SORRY FORD.

To me this seems like a major problem... Ive have it checked at Firestone because my best friend is the GM at a local FS near my house. He checked my computer and most of these codes did not come up....

THIS IS A BUNCH ON CONFUSION...

any help is appreciated.. I have scheduled a full diagnostic for this Thursday/Friday, depending on availability. I hardly drive it, but when I do, its 45 miles at a time... San Jose to San Francisco, once or twice a week....

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to check this post out and to those who are willing to give useful information for me to know...

THANKS ONCE AGAIN

Quick Reply: 99 LS1, smoking and I'm not talking about rubber...