99 camaro issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 01:27 AM
Default 99 camaro issues

I just recently biught a 99 camaro it was running fine untill I decided to put full injector cleaner to clean the injectors and my car started having spurts if loss of power so I changed my fuel filter the next day my car was acting fine I got up to 80 and I geard a bug pop noise I assum a back fire irecenrtn all that gas out and now im having spurts of extra power does any one have any ideas of what may b wrong

Old 03-02-2014, 12:19 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

welcome to the forum. i moved your thread to the 4th generation general section for you. good first step is to have the computer scanned for trouble codes. that should give us an idea of where to not look. I'm not a big fan of cleaners that are added to gas. be best to pull the injectors have them cleaned and flow tested at a injector shop. replace all the injector o rings, they get brittle and leak.

Last edited by craby; 03-02-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:03 PM

Thank u I have had the codes check and the code that vomes up is for catalytic converter I had a guy I know put it on a lift and we noticed that the cat had been gutted at some point in time

Old 03-02-2014, 06:49 PM

I also had a fuel presser test done 2 it and it was good

Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

how old are your spark plug wires and spark plugs? fuel pressure would probably only show low when its running weak. did you do a driving pressure test, usually involves taping the gauge to the windshield, then you could see what pressure is doing when issue shows.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:25 PM

the plugs and wires the coil packs a relativly new i had scence found out b4 i got the car and started putting miles on it it got less then 500 miles put on it from 1/29/11 untill 2 weeks ago i have not tried tried fuel pressure test while it was going down the road

Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

These types of issues can be very hard to track down. They tend to go to the best mechanics that focus on “drivability” (cars not running right) all day long. IMO without the right equipment it is all shots in the dark.

Now if you really believe it had to do with the cleaner you may need to have your injectors cleaned by a pro. The problem is the tank type cleaners do clean but they clean everything. They clean the fuel tank, lines and filters. It breaks the carbon and dirt down so small it can get through the filter and it ends up building in the injectors like sand at the mouth of a river.

When a garage cleans your injectors they hook up a system to the fuel rail and pump the cleaner in that way. This leaves the crap that is in the tank in the tank.

Since you are already checking other things you realize the injection cleaner could just be a coincident. I had a customer once that did his first tune up on his own car, when he was done the car would not start. He even convinced me it something he did. I wasted ½ an hour rechecking everything he did. I could not find anything wrong I then switch gears in my head and went back to the basics. The fuel pump failed. Nothing he did had anything to do with it. The poor guy just had bad timing.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:33 AM

Once the snow is out of thr air here in a few days im going to get her out and drive her around check everything u guys recommended

Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM

i was out driving my camaro to see if it was driving any better and got stuck in the process of getting it unstuck i developed a valve knocking how hard is that to fix

Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Are you sure it is a valve? did you over rev the motor? or did the motor over heat?

FYI being stuck in the snow has sent a lot of cars to a early grave, Burned up transmissions is the most common result with stretched connecting rods a distant second and jumped timing chains in a strong third.

Last edited by Gorn; 03-03-2014 at 07:12 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 camaro issues