97 RS Throttle Body HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 04:25 PM
1st Gear Member

Changed the oil, since it needed to be done anyway. M1 full synthetic, and the helpful guys at Autozone made the same suggestion, to change the oil before anything. Started the car afterwards and I'm still getting white smoke and idling issues. I'm thinking of taking the car around the block and see if the condition improves, but not for a few minutes now. I'm exhausted from this heat

Old 06-30-2012, 05:05 PM
1st Gear Member

Just got back, and the smoke is still coming out. I don't have an ODB-code reader, so I can't get any engine codes from the "Service Engine" light. Already got new oil, and I don't see any leaks from the TB. What should I do now?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you actually seeing smoke/steam come from out of the tailpipe? Or is it possible it's burning off the engine and exhaust externally and giving a smoke screen from under the car? The way that must have been leaking, coolant could have gotten all over. Also, did you remember to top off your coolant level?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Are you actually seeing smoke/steam come from out of the tailpipe? Or is it possible it's burning off the engine and exhaust externally and giving a smoke screen from under the car? The way that must have been leaking, coolant could have gotten all over. Also, did you remember to top off your coolant level?
It's coming from the tailpipe, and I haven't checked my levels yet. I didn't get a chance to flush it , since the weather has started to turn here. Should I flush and top off the coolant? What will that do in the long run to resolve the issue?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Changing your coolant won't do anything for your current issue, but it should help for longevity of your gaskets since old coolant is corrosive. Under the circumstances, I can't see any kind of engine damage you could have done with the leaking TB. I'd drive it more and keep a close eye on it. Of course, I free myself of any and all liabilities!

Old 06-30-2012, 06:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Changing your coolant won't do anything for your current issue, but it should help for longevity of your gaskets since old coolant is corrosive. Under the circumstances, I can't see any kind of engine damage you could have done with the leaking TB. I'd drive it more and keep a close eye on it. Of course, I free myself of any and all liabilities!
Considering I didn't run the car for that long anyway, I doubt there's any long-term or serious damage. Also, it's about time to change the coolant since the dipstick came out with some chocolate sludge on it. Looked like a shake made with sour milk

Old 06-30-2012, 11:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Ummmm....your coolant looking like that isn't a good sign. Might be oil mixing with the coolant which would mean a gasket issue.
How long have you owned the car, and was it "smoking" from the tailpipe at all before?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:04 AM
2nd Gear member

Could be head gasket, but more likely the lower intake gasket, which is what the 3800's are famous for. GM redesign the gaskets later out of metal and there for they don't break down like the cheap plastic ones.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Ummmm....your coolant looking like that isn't a good sign. Might be oil mixing with the coolant which would mean a gasket issue.
How long have you owned the car, and was it "smoking" from the tailpipe at all before?
I've personally owned the car for almost a year now, more specifically about 9-10 months. And no, the car has never smoked like this, never smoked at all before.

Originally Posted by fbodyrs96
Could be head gasket, but more likely the lower intake gasket, which is what the 3800's are famous for. GM redesign the gaskets later out of metal and there for they don't break down like the cheap plastic ones.
Don't you dare scare me like that. I don't have the money to get that kind of work done, nor do I have the know-how to drop the engine and do it myself

Old 07-01-2012, 11:26 AM
2nd Gear member

its not to hard to do, and not to $$$. I just did a cam on mine and it was my 1st time going that far into the motor. its more time consuming then anything. make sure you get the new design metal gaskets if you do have a LIM leak

Quick Reply: 97 RS Throttle Body HELP