97 RS Camaro & Flowmaster Original 40 muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012 | 07:09 PM
|
Question 97 RS Camaro & Flowmaster Original 40 muffler?

Hey I need advice. I just bought a Flowmaster Original 40 muffler in good condition from a yard sale down the street. It has 1 inlet and 2 outlets. My camaro is v6 and completely stock. I was wondering if the muffler would work on my car since it is dual outlet. I called one place and they said it would work but then I called another place and they said it wouldn't work because it is dual outlet. Someone please give me a straight answer if it will work or not and explain why. Also if it won't work please tell me if there is another way to get it done. And also, would it sound good on my v6? Thanks a lot to anyone that is able to help.

Old 05-14-2012 | 07:13 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

ya it will work i had the same muffler on my 95. the outlets dont matter just the inlet.

Old 05-14-2012 | 08:07 PM
|

Thanks for the response. I believe you, but can anyone else confirm that it would work and if it would sound good?

Old 05-14-2012 | 08:11 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

heres mine, now its a 3.4 so on your car it will actually sound a little better

95 Camaro 3'' flow-master exhaust no cat - YouTube

Old 05-14-2012 | 08:25 PM
|

Okay thanks. Does the fact that you have no cat make it sound better/different than mine with the stock cat?

Old 05-14-2012 | 09:50 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

It got raspier so I put a glass pack in place (the vid was taken with the glass pack)

Old 05-15-2012 | 06:44 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There could be some fitment issue, I am not an exhaust expert but I have installed a lot of them. The original Flowmaster had the inlet on one side and both outlets on the other. This would be a problem. Is your original exhaust a dual setup? You need to measure you pipes you may need adapters. The last thing, if you have the right muffler and dual tail pipes make sure everything is going to line up BEFORE you cut for adapters. Last thing you want is to get to the end and find out one of the tail pipes will not work and not you cannot put the system back the way it was.
FYI, The inlet should be larger diameter than the two outlets, A Camaro style muffler with have the Inlet and one outlet on the same side. If everything works out for you the muffler will sound great at idle but it will get raspy at 3000 RPMs. Removing the Cat makes the raspy worse and added a droning at highway speeds that was really annoying to me.

Old 05-15-2012 | 10:13 AM
|

It does have one inlet on one side and two outlets both on the opposite side and the outlets are smaller in diameter than the inlet. Is there any way around this fitment issue? Thank you for your help.

Old 05-15-2012 | 02:16 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Not really. It is simple geometry, you don’t have tail pipes the will go from the outlets to the back of the car and the exhaust pipe that comes from the Cat will not reach the inlet. I don’t think that muffler is even the right length. Unless you can custom make exhaust pipes it is not going to work. I guessing you cannot make custom pipes or you would not be here asking if it can fit. Having a pro custom do it would cost way more than just buying the right muffler and tail pipes.

Old 05-15-2012 | 05:11 PM
|

Okay thank you.

Quick Reply: 97 RS Camaro & Flowmaster Original 40 muffler?