97 LT1 starts but then it wont HELPPPP!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Question 97 LT1 starts but then it wont HELPPPP!!!!!!

ok so i have this crapper , got in and it wont start , got it towed, then it started , came back and no start again, fuel pump turns on , pressure in the rails, if i spray a little starter fluid it will start until it burns off and thats it, i was looking around and found a guy that said it might be the anti theft so tried another key started right up, tried a couple times with both keys and it started everytime, went for a puff and came back and no start with either keys, i have no idea , fuel filter? the car purrs when it does start , any and all info will be great thanks bob-0

Old 04-11-2009, 03:33 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Does it try to crank when it doesn't start? Or it just does nothing? If it just does nothing, check the connections for the battery cables, at the battery and at the starter and block. If you don't find anything, then lets us know.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:10 PM
Overdrive Member

Is the SES light on? If it starts with starter fluid and then stops when that burns off it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Just because there's pressure in the rails doesn't mean there's the correct amount of pressure in the rails.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
Just because there's pressure in the rails doesn't mean there's the correct amount of pressure in the rails.
That sounded stupid at first, had to read it again.

Old 04-11-2009, 10:23 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95slvrZ28
Is the SES light on? If it starts with starter fluid and then stops when that burns off it sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Just because there's pressure in the rails doesn't mean there's the correct amount of pressure in the rails.
dito. more info please. ses? stored codes? by the way use gas in a spray bottle for injector motors. try not to use starter fluid on a motor except as a last resort. washes away the lube, burns the rings and not good for valves.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:59 PM

no ses light , green arrow if it starts with a little bit of starting fluid it obviously cranks , yes i know that starter fluid is not good for the car but when just testing its just fine.. im waiting to hear back on the exact fuel pressure, shop said they wouldnt even look at it cuz its leaking a little coolant from the radiator, ill take care of that , but yea sometimes it just cranks and other times itll start right up with no problems at all no ses light nothing , before that it started every time,

Old 04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

what have you checked or changed? last tune up? fuel filter? check injector wires with meter to see if there getting signal?

Old 04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
1st Gear Member

could be the fuel pump on the way out. especially if you dont have the security light flashing that means its not the vats

Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 PM

mine done the same thing....i checked to make sure the fuel pump was working for sure....found out it was getting intermitten power....it was in the fuel pump relay....running and starting every time now...can check that out....i used a fused jumper wire to bypass the relay to check it out...

Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 AM
2nd Gear member

Does the car sometimes fire right up then other times crank for a long time? because it sounds like either a fuel pump as stated before or a fuel pressure regulator. you should have appx 40-50 with the key on, then anywhere from about 35 to 40 running according to All Data.

Quick Reply: 97 LT1 starts but then it wont HELPPPP!!!!!!