'97 Camaro RS repairs and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:54 AM
1st Gear Member

UPDATE:

Got some bezels from the dashboard in the garage being painted (Lost count on how many coats, have to keep re-applying. Probably need to buy a new can since this one is about a year-ish old) while I wait to order the new trim and jack.

Things to do:

1) Order low-profile floor jack (Current jacks only go up about 15", I'm ordering one that will go 24" high)

2) Order and replace right-side rocker panel

3) replace CAI with custom kit, fab some sheet metal to cover hole where CAI filter is, eliminate noise generated by air filter

Big things are finally happening, and since the girlfriend is going on a cruise for a week, that saves me some coin

Old 04-07-2012, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Got the bezels finished! A nice coat of red, with a glossy top coat. Loos great, can't wait to drive at night and turn on the inside lights

It's a nice sunny day here on Long Island, so the red paint looks orange-yellow in the sun. At least you can also get a good look at the speaker covers which I did a while ago, and the light I installed under the dash

Name:  2012-04-07_14-26-23_428.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  119.2 KB

So I decided to get a good picture of each bezel with the T-Tops covered to have the ACTUAL color in the picture:

Name:  2012-04-07_14-27-16_809.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  2012-04-07_14-28-28_134.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  81.6 KB

Name:  2012-04-07_14-29-27_320.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  106.6 KB

Also, I decided to re-coat the covers for my hood "scoops":

Name:  2012-04-07_14-31-09_705.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  65.3 KB

Now that the painting is complete, all that's left is the right-side trim and to get under the hood

Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 AM
4th Gear Member

Not a big fan of the red bezels, but doesn't look too bad. My friend did the same thing when he had his Firebird (exterior was black though) and we used to call it the batmobile. Haha.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Not a big fan of the red bezels, but doesn't look too bad. My friend did the same thing when he had his Firebird (exterior was black though) and we used to call it the batmobile. Haha.
TBH, I wasn't quite sure of painting them red myself, until I saw some of the other members' painted bezels in the "Post pics of your 4th gen" thread. I finally decided to take the plunge, knowing I could always just find replacement ones online if I didn't like how it came out. Pictures really don't do it justice, you have to actually be in the car to appreciate the full effect of the red. I'm most likely done with making red highlights in and around the car, any more would just be too much, IMO.

What's left now is to finally order that jack and trim, so I can make the outside whole again (I get paid bi-weekly, hence the posts being sporadic and far-apart).

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes

For your side skirt, take a look at wingwest. They look identical and for the price
you could get both sides for around 300

Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by impala765
For your side skirt, take a look at wingwest. They look identical and for the price
you could get both sides for around 300
WAAAY ahead of you on that one There was a post in the 4th gen thread that had the link for WingWest, and I saw the F-1 kit they had for sale. I'm ordering the right-side skirt as soon as I get the available funds, as well as a low-profile floor jack that goes to 24" (The ones I currently have don't go high enough for me to do any real work under the car)

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DDRDiesel
as well as a low-profile floor jack that goes to 24" (The ones I currently have don't go high enough for me to do any real work under the car)
Jack it up as high as they go, set it on jack stands, pull the jack back out and find a block of wood (4x4 works well) and do it all over. Just watch to make sure the opposite end your jacking up doesn't get smashed in the ground. Haha.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MKCoconuts
Jack it up as high as they go, set it on jack stands, pull the jack back out and find a block of wood (4x4 works well) and do it all over. Just watch to make sure the opposite end your jacking up doesn't get smashed in the ground. Haha.
The problem with this theory is that the jacks are on wheels, and need to move as the car goes higher. Also, I need a new low-profile jack anyway because these floor jacks don't go low enough to avoid the body kit

Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM
4th Gear Member

My floor jack is on wheels and I still pull it off. It's how I got the car high enough to put my headers in.

Good point. I don't have to deal with a body kit, but I still know how you feel. The jack I use is over 20 years old and is getting to the point where it doesn't get the car quite as high as it should.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Sweet, just ordered the side skirt from Wings West! Going to put the jack on hold, as I will deal with what I have for now. In the meantime, I'm going to upgrade my dash cluster lights to LEDs, as that's a cheap, quick upgrade I can do to make the inside a bit nicer. Also need to pick up more paint to finish coating the bezels, as the paint started to rub off (Weather interfered with the final coats, it looks like)

Quick Reply: '97 Camaro RS repairs and upgrades