97 3.8 unconventional 5.7 swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Exclamation 97 3.8 unconventional 5.7 swap

Hello all I am new here and thought I would start out my membership with a Bang! A little background for this thread: Once upon a time I had a sweet 97 Camaro and a not so sweet lady...I loved the car more than her and she knew this at the end and so put all her vindictive energy into being awarded with my baby when split time came. Then she blew the engine and only a few days ago offered to sell it to me after it has sat for I don't know how long. Now I have my baby back but shes in poor shape. I used to be a certified GM and ASE mechanic until a defective car lift decided to fall on me and ended that. I can still do some work on cars (my own) but end up laying in bed for days afterwards. Now I live on $674 a month so this project will be on an extreme poor mans budget. Heres what i have to work with: an 85 GMC schoolbus with no trans and an immaculately maintained 350 (46k original miles on it). 97 Camaro with a bad 3.8V6 w/5spd trans. I propose to swap that 350 into my Camaro......I know I know its gonna be hard but I am determined and I believe that just because something has not been done before does not mean that it cannot be done...it just means that nobody in the past has had enough ***** to try it. I have nothing but spare time as I cannot work anymore in my chosen field (and know nothing else). I am looking for any helpful tips, hints or info. I think I am going to have to change the 5spd out also because to the best of my knowledge a V6 trans from that year range will not bolt onto a 350. Unless anyone knows of an adapter that can be purchased? I know that the electronics will not mesh and what I plan to do there is eliminate all that I can. This will require an entirely new Instrument cluster and gauges but thats ok. My idea for the electronics is just to use the same thing that is being used in the bus that the engine came out of. All of that being said I would also like to say that I will do this and so if you do not believe it can be done or just do not have anything helpful/constructive to post then please don't bother. I need people with an open mind to help me come up with ideas on how to make this happen - not people stubbornly insisting that it cannot happen. Thank you all very much in advance for your help.
Bear

Old 06-14-2011, 09:27 AM
4th Gear Member

OK, in keeping with your demands

may i suggest a tape measure. Go measure the motor mount locations and height to the hood

then, measure the 350 from the bus

also, measure the block from mounts to the distributor as well as the height. Pay careful attention to whether or not the distributor will simply fit or if you have potential clearance issues with respect to the firewall and how you will time the thing. (that's not negative is it?)

One more thing, I assume that you have an auto tranny? Investigate how to get a computer controlled tranny to operate properly in a non computer environment

those are some tips

Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM

hey thanks alot those are things that i really hadn't thought of but should have. i did notice and wonder if i may have issues because the V6 seems like its mounted halfway under the dash lol. the Bus did originally have an auto trans but i will be keeping a manual (5 or 6spd not sure) in the camaro.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:42 AM

umm also in rereading my post i notice that i seem to come off kind of demanding and an A-hole...very sorry for this i didn't mean for it to sound like that. i will take any help that is offered and take it gladly.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:16 PM
3rd Gear Member

Your going to need a new k member. Bmr makes a k member for sbc and BBC engines to go into these cars. Try getting one of those.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:31 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Please read the V-6 to V8 Swap thread in the the V6 section. Read the whole thing, once you get passed the jokes there is some real info in there.

Sell the 350 and install another 3800 in your car. There is no cheaper way to get your car rolling again. For what that low mile 350 is worth you should be able to get a very low miles 3800. They are one of the most common motor in yards today.

Your not doing anything that has not been done before. This is a smaller forum but we even have a member who has done it. Two things people that have done it will tell you. One Your budget is not big enough (they will not care what you think it will cost it will cost more). This thing will 100 dollar you to death. You better have a hoist. The motor installs from the bottom and your going to do 100's of tests fits. Also your computer system controls everything. Heat/AC/Light/ The whole dash! All that electrical systems will need replaced because you have disabled the computer. Gages alone can run you $200-500. Heck for what your going to pay for a tranny to back up the 350 you could get a motor.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep it can be done. there is a thread on here where one of our members did the switch.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:03 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

i agree with gorn take all the money you would have spent on the 350 get yourself a nice 3800, a new clutch, some suspension, and an exhaust then sell the car and put a nice down payment on a used vette

Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
nice down payment on a used vette
Ok how did we get from ultra budget build to a down payment on a Vet? The insurance alone would be insane. The 3800/5 speed has to be one of the cheapest cars to own/drive. Heck I went from a 1994 Olds beater to my 96 V6 and my insurance went down like 21 bucks. I have seen post from guys claiming to have gotten 2003-04, FWD 3800s with less then 20K miles on them for $400. It does seem to be based on area. Heck a low miles 350 truck motor has got to be worth more then that. The bus itself would scrap at what $1000? I got $380 for a Suburban at the scrap yard.

I know where you are coming from Bear, I crushed 3 disks in my back in engine related accident. I can only work a few hours a day and my leg will go numb. Some weeks it take all week of sitting at my desk to recover from 4-6 hours of wrenching on the weekend. If you click on my project link and check the dates of the post you will see how long it took me. But trust me what you are thinking about doing will take alteat 10 times the hours of just replacing the motor. If you really want to use the 350 motor then buy a 3rd gen body. As long as you get an older V8 with a blown motor its all but a drop in and the bodies are dirt cheap.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help. I have a step by step PDF for pulling the motor.

Last edited by Gorn; 06-14-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:54 AM

I thank you all for your helpful replies they all help in some way. Gorn especially. I do understand what it will mean to take out the OBC believe me but am actually looking forward to totally customizing every control (and the dash) in the car. I should note that I was a Knight Rider fan as a kid lol. As to trading the car for something else I really don't want that I have an extensive history with my baby and that is why I would be willing to do whatever it takes to get her the way I want her. I gonna grab at the chance to mold something I care about into something even more beautiful than she was before. Sorry don't mean to get all deep on y'all lol. As for the time it will take...I don't mind, most everything in my life that I do takes time now. thats the one thing learning to walk again will teach you: patience.
Please keep the tips coming I really appreciate them all.
Bear

Quick Reply: 97 3.8 unconventional 5.7 swap