96 Z28 Convertible value

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Default 96 Z28 Convertible value

Hello all, I have a question about a car I have the oportunity to purchace from a relative. It's a Red 96 Z28 Vert automatic with 55,000 miles, leather int ect. Belonged to the mother of my niece's husband. Pretty clean car for the year. Runs & drives with good tires, new brakes..well maintained.

The car was in an accident and needs a right door and repair to the lower front 1/4 panel and sill. The insurance totalled it and he bought it back thinking the drive train was worth $$$. He has been sitting on it for about 6 months and I think reality has sunk in. So he asked me to make an offer on it.

I have a bodyshop and frequently rebuild totals. This looks like a fairly easy fix for me. My hypotetical question is...what is a car like this worth if it were a clean car with a clean history? I already know it will take a hit because of the accident. I'm just trying to get a baseline for what this car would go for.

I searched nationwide on Autotrader and ebay and couldn't even find a Z28 Convertible for sale. Is this a rare piece or just a coincidence I can't find any? I'm trying to decide if it's worth messing with. Seems a shame to part it out or worse..keep sitting under his pine tree.

Thanks for any insight, Jim

Edit: I just did another search on Autotrader and did find some. NADA says $7750 top book. Asking prices on Autotrader are much higher. Again, any opinions welcome.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

They are not really rare. There is always one or two at just about every auto auction I go to. You could buy that car with a salvage title through auction for about $2100. With the Repair and a R title about 4k. Full on at the dealer retail would ask 8999.00 they would get closer to 8K counting trade. Private party I think 7K would be the top $6200 would sell pretty fast. That is eastern PA. It is a shame it car crossed the 50K mark, 48K would add another 1-1.5K to the value.

If it was a 6 speed add 2K to the retail and 1.5K to all the other numbers. If you are doing this as an investment you need to move fast. The prime vert selling time will be done once the real heat sets in and the way things are going I would NOT want to try wait out the year with a LT1. The values are dropping pretty fast. That was a 12K full retail car last year at this time and I would not be surprised if it is a 6K car next summer. The LS1’s are dropping in price and a lot of guys are passing up the low miles LT1s for high miles LS1s.

I am not sure what the current owner thinks the drive line is worth but a 55K drive line will only bring about $1500. I bought a Lt1 with 32K on it for $1000. If you are thinking about fixing it to keep it could be a great deal it is getting harder to find cherry Lt1 cars and if you do the work you know it is done right.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for that. Pretty much what I thought. I already have an MGB, TR8 and a 99 Corvette Vert so I was looking to fix and flip this. Really don't need 4 convertibles. I think he paid the ins. co $1200 for it last fall. Kinda looks like a lost cause unless someone wants it for a keeper.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:09 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Where are you at? 2K is a reasonable price if it does not need and frame straighting time. If I did not already have a project I would jump on it as a keeper. Car should go to a 4th gen lover and get a new lease on life.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Car is north east of Pittsburgh near the Ohio line. I'm south of Pittsburgh about 1 1/2 hr from the car. I looked underneath and the pinch weld section of the rocker is still straight. So it appears the rocker damage is limited to the outer sheetmetal. The door took the major impact and is pushed into the pass seat. The upper seat frame appears bent but the leather is OK. I figured get a seat from the wreckers and change over the soft trim. I'd imagine plenty of parts available for these as nothing convertible specific is damaged.

I'm still mulling it over. The smart part of me says forget it but the other part says it would be a neat car for someone in a very affordable price range. Plus I get some sort of satisfaction from bringing them back. A buddy of mine has some interest but he's starting a bussiness and short on cash. Crazy part about salvage cars is they sell better wrecked than after they are fixed.

He tossed out 3K but said make an offer. He has some crazy notion about the value of the drive train. But nothing is happening with it just sitting there. I think my niece would be happy if they got their money back and had it out of the yard.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:45 AM
1st Gear Member

he thinks the drivetrain is at T56 value

Old 04-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Holy crap! 8 years ago I sold my very nice 96 Z28 convertible, with 80-some thousand miles for $8,500. Sorry, but these cars (unless a limited edition) haven't become collectible yet. After looking at some of the loony prices on craigslist, apparently it's now a prerequisite to smoke pot before you post a car for sale.

Old 04-11-2012, 02:44 PM
4th Gear Member

it's going to have a salvage title since it's been totaled so resale will be much less after repairs than if it were clean title

Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by fendermender
He tossed out 3K but said make an offer. He has some crazy notion about the value of the drive train. But nothing is happening with it just sitting there. I think my niece would be happy if they got their money back and had it out of the yard.
I bought the whole driveline from a LT1 with 32K with a T56, new clutch, new hydralics New granatelli fuel pump a set of factory chrome rims with like new tires for 2K. The only thing I left behind worth much was the interior, stereo and some body parts.

Full retail on that drive line from a company like Fbody out of Philly is $1700 and that is with a warranty. That car is not going anywhere and every day it drops in value. Now if it was a LS1 with 55K on it he would be a lot closer.

Last edited by Gorn; 04-11-2012 at 07:50 PM.