96 z28?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by torque_is_good
but around here it would be 1700-2300 at auction
Around here if it was blue with stock rims those prices would be about right but with "Sell me" red paint and those vet rims that would tack another 500-800 on it. Small lots like eye candy.

As a general rule dealers mark up cars atleast double so IMO 4K asking price is about right. But like torque said you really need to look around your area. I am keeping an eye on motorcycle prices and if I got 40 miles South (philly) prices go up almost 20% but if I go 30 miles North (poconos) the prices drop about 10%. Of couse this is on lower end bikes, Most guys don't have a problem driving and hour to pick up their 10K Harley but a 2001 750 Vulcan, not so much.

Your going to want to track down that noise, if its a failing water pump it could get expensive very fast. Might be worth it to get it checked by a mechainic or atleast pressure test the system. Disconnecting gages and warning lights is not uncommon. Sometime even the people trading the car in do it just to get a better trade in price.

Last edited by Gorn; 02-09-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I have a really trustworthy mechanic around here that takes care of my whole family. Im sure I could get him to look at it for me. I have a code scanner too so I could take that next time. I didnt like the sound of that noise either. Around here, Ive seen way worse for a lot higher. One dealer was asking 7,900 for a 98 3.8 camaro with 170k on it. Most dealers around here are trying to get 5k for a 3.8.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Also ran back to the dealer tonight after they closed and checked the doorjam for RPO codes. Its not a B4C.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by FosterW
. Dealer claims its an SLP car and has the police package.
Yea I was going to comment on that also. B4C car where purchased through COPO I am not aware of a SLP B4C car ever being made. I am curious as to what he thinks SLP did to it? SLP added a CAI and headers but they where marked SLP on them. I have a set in my garage. SLP also changed the hood and rear deck those are stock. Man this guy is really stacking the lies up. At this point if it comes out of his mouth assume it is a lie.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Yea I was going to comment on that also. B4C car where purchased through COPO I am not aware of a SLP B4C car ever being made. I am curious as to what he thinks SLP did to it? SLP added a CAI and headers but they where marked SLP on them. I have a set in my garage. SLP also changed the hood and rear deck those are stock. Man this guy is really stacking the lies up. At this point if it comes out of his mouth assume it is a lie.
But it's got the SLP badge on the back panel! It HAS to be an SLP! This guy probably thinks I'm some dumb teenager who doesn't know a thing about this car other than that its fast and I want it.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by FosterW
But it's got the SLP badge on the back panel! It HAS to be an SLP!
Badges! we don't need no..........

So he is either clueless or a lier, either way if you got a trusted wrench 1/2 hour labor will be money well spent. Mileage is not a big deal if the car has been well maintained. You can clean a car up to make it pretty but to fool a real mechanic on how it was maintained take a lot of effort by someone that knows what they are doing.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:35 AM
1st Gear Member

I wonder what he would say when I tell him that the car doesn't have the RPO code to have the police package. That would be a tough one for him.