96 z28?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 96 z28?

I want to pick up another Camaro and keep the 3.8 as a DD. As much as I'd love an LS1 I think I might have to stick with an LT1. What did you guys pay for your cars and with how many miles on them when bought. Currently there is a 96 z28 for sale very close to me with 160k on it. Here is the CL link.

1996 CHEVY CAMARO Z28

Now I went to look at it tonight when they closed and its kinda ruff. It has some chipped paint, cracked tail light, looks like a glass chip on the inside of the hatch, previous owner did one of those horrible "paint the interior panels to match the car" jobs, and my god he must of been cross eyed because the exhaust tips are so uneven, one of them sticks out about 2 inches farther than the other. The dealer wants 3999 but if by miracle (because it looks like a really small time dealer that doesnt get much business) I talk them down to 2000 would it be worth it? Or should I pass. I still want to go test drive it just to get a taste of a v8

Old 02-09-2012, 03:04 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would say you will probly be looking at investing a good sized chunk of change right off the bat. dont know though may be worth a test drive.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 AM
4th Gear Member

if you only have $2k to spend I would not waste the time of the dealer just so you can have a drive for fun.

Would I pay $4k, nah

would I give it a looksee and pay $3k, maybe but it depends on your local market and the supply of similar vehicles.

the dealer is probably into the vehicle for anywhere from $1700-$2300

things to consider

they aren't salad shooters so the wheels alone save you $500 because you aren't going to like salad shooters

it already has an aftermarket catback so you save $350 -$500 for a mod you would want to do

how are the tires and brakes? if the tires have good tread then you just saved a $600-$800 expense which is needed on most cars in that price range.

there are many ways to look at it but you aren't going to steal it. Dealers get these types of cars because they know a kid will come along and buy it based upon emotion.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

"in mint condition", that's a good one! What does the dealer consider one that shows it's miles to be like?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I would say for a dealer the price is not bad if the opti/water pump have been upgraded and the trans shifts good. That is a 2500-2800 car thru the auction.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:44 PM
1st Gear Member

Ya the like new thing is pretty funny. The tires weren't too bad, they had a bit of tread on them and I like the eagle rims way more than what came with my car. I'll probably get a test drive today to see how it runs and everything. I dont mind something that needs some TLC because I want this to be a project car anyway just as long as its not major.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

A test drive would just be a formality. The car "runs and drives like new", what more do you need than that?
Be sure to let us know how "new" it feels.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I would say for a dealer the price is not bad if the opti/water pump have been upgraded and the trans shifts good. That is a 2500-2800 car thru the auction.
depends on the area. I didn't pay any mind to the location but around here it would be 1700-2300 at auction because there is a good supply of non rebuilt 4th gens

the dealers then try and sell them for 3500-4000 and get it because there's plenty of kids gobbling them up

there's one on a lot down the street from me and I'm surprised the EPA hasn't been called because of all the oil underneath it

the sign says

"good condition $3699"

too funny

Old 02-09-2012, 06:38 PM
1st Gear Member

I took it for the test drive. Dealer claims its an SLP car and has the police package. I didn't take the time to check the RPO codes at the time. Under the hood didnt look too bad and it had a K&n. Also noticed the engine temp gauge doesn't work. There was a bit of oil under the car where it sat. As for running wise, The car was fast, WAY faster than my 3.8. No hesitation what so ever. Had no problem getting a little loose at a red light. The only thing I could note was at really low rpms but not when at idle it sounded like there was a jar of pennies under the front end but it wasn't there all the time and didn't seem to affect the driving at all. It seemed to shift smooth, I kicked it down at around 30 and scared the hell out of my mother. I took down the VIN and I'm gonna check carfax to see whats up. If everything is clear I might try and pull 3k for it. Whats your opinion guys.

Side note: My god it felt good to drive a v8.

Last edited by FosterW; 02-09-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:02 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

sounds like the lifters were chattering or had knock from pre detonation. what oil pressure? did you look at the oil? should have stopped by the local parts store and had them scann for codes.