96 RS ground effects installed on a 93

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 02:23 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 96 RS ground effects installed on a 93

I know some of you guys hate it but i love it so lets get that out of the way. So I pulled the RS body kit off a silver 95/96(not sure) at the junk yard. I wasnt able to get the spoiler as it was gone but thats ok as im more interested in putting an ss spoiler on anyways. the front and back are in great shape though need a thorough sanding and repainting. the driver side skirt is in good shape but they lifted it up on the passenger side to put it in with the rest of the camaros and it has a good sized crack on the sides that you CANT see under the car. the side you can see is in great shape. i pulled all the metal clips off it that held the front and back in. my question is.. can i install this after prepping and painting WITHOUT drilling and riveting these metal clips on? like is there any adhesive or product or way of doing this where i can avoid drilling into the body? i dont mind doing it if necessary i just would like to preserve things if i can in the event that i might like to remove the pieces in the future. i know mine doesnt have the holes to bolt the side skirts in which is ok, i can make that work. anyone have any suggestions for doing this?

Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 PM
4th Gear Member

well what did they do? ,I got to say I love cars with ground effects ,when I lived in florida it was cool ,now that I live in the north east ,its just to low ,I know how awsome these cars look with it ,they make a show car look even better ,you will probley need to install; them the same way they were installed on the other car ,to be done right ,you can talk to body guy an see how they would do it to,most of the ones I have seen ,you need some drilling,i think some newer ones use an strong glue

Old 06-11-2015, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member

yeah i live in florida and this car came from a junk yard in florida. i have repaired most of that crack and any little imperfections in the fiberglass with some cheap walmart bondo stuff and epoxy. just prepping them for primer and then paint and we'll see how it turns out. ill have to figure out some fasteners to use. the plastic fasteners they used obviously are no good having been pretty rough taking them off and the metal clips that the front and rear valance use to hold the fiberglass in place need to be hammered back into shape. also the metal clips appear to have used some kind of rivet and those mostly came off with the metal clip but those will need a replacing as well. im sure i can find something obviously i just wanted to see if they would clean up and paint up nicely before i went drilling into my cars body. my car is white with the black headlight area and top a gloss black. its been repainted as i know most of the headlight area is usually a flat black. i think im going to simply paint them a gloss black in the meanwhile until i have a proper paint job done when ill have them painted white with the rest of the car.

its going to make me nervous as **** drilling into the body. lol... not so funny...

also.. on the front part, i realized looking at pics online that the front valance in the central opening there is SUPPOSED to be 3 verticle strips of fiberglass that connect the top of the valance to the bottom.. they appear to have been broken off. unless you knew what to look for you might not otherwise be able to tell. i wonder if i should just buy a front valance that isnt "technically broken". i saw some online for cheap and i could even mix and match my 2 side skirts and rear end with the front valance from one of the more popular body kits.. maybe xenon or just pick up a replacement for this one as ive seen the OEM RS body kit on sites before.

Last edited by ztwentyate; 06-11-2015 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:10 PM
4th Gear Member

post pictures sounds good