96 Camaro Z getting hot

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 96 Camaro Z getting hot

whats up guys i recently bought another 96 camaro but if i drive it in town and just cruise the temp on the gague will only be one mark below the overheating mark so i was wondering what could be causing this i would think it would be the termitstat causing this and i blew a head gasket on my 94 for racing the hell out of it and it was HELL fixing it so i really dont feel like doing that again lol XD

Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: 96 Camaro Z getting hot

also my fans wont kick on either forgot to mention that and it wont let me edit my last post for some reason

Old 08-01-2008, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

My 94 does that too. The only difference is when I'm stopped and turn my fan on (wired in a relay with an on/off button) it'll go to the middle line but as soon as I go it'll get hot agian. I was thinking that maybe my water pump was going out. I know there isa few posts about hot engines but all I seem to see is "That's the GM made it to work." I still don't get it though?

Old 08-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Your around-town overheating issue is because of the fan not going on. Could be either your fan is bad, or it's an electrical or sensor problem. Do the fan(s) go on when you turn on the A/C? If so, you can do that for the time being, until you get it fixed.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:58 PM

I had the same problem, So i by-passed the stock wiring for the fans and wired in a toggle switch to control my fans, they run all the time. Make sure your fans work first, ,mine did not turn on with the a/c on. I tested them by disconnecting the connector at the fand and put a positive and a ground wire to it and they should turn on if not you have a bad fan or fans. With a 160 t-stat and the fans it stay between 170-190 no hotter than that even in traffic. Also mke sure your cooling system is up to par.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:45 AM
In the Staging Lanes

me and my dad checked it today we even tryed the AC and and they wont kick on so i know for a FACT is related to the fans now and plus i drove on the highway a bit and it stay cool. so time to play around with my fans =/ Great i hate working on these LT1s lol Fun to drive not fun to work on

Old 08-03-2008, 04:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I just wired in a switch for my fans as well. Used two 30 amp realy's (one per fan). I found that my driver side fan didn't turn to great with the conecter on it so I pulled it off and "hot wired" my fan to the switch. All with fuses and relay's though.

Old 02-07-2014, 01:36 PM

I have same problem fans won't come on even with ac on checked fans they work checked relays thay are good temp sender new aim lost

Old 02-07-2014, 04:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Freddie
I have same problem fans won't come on even with ac on checked fans they work checked relays thay are good temp sender new aim lost
What do you mean by the relays checked good? How were they checked?

These cars use 2 relays to turn on both fans for low speed operation and 3 relays to turn on both fans for high speed operation.

So for low speed operation relay 3 must provide continuity through the de-energized contacts. This puts the left and right fans in series.

For high speed all 3 relays are energized. This puts both fans in parallel for high speed operation.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:58 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

test your engine temp sensor. its on the water pump. temp gauge sensor is by the number 1 spark plug. have a look at number 12 here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids