'95 Sounds/AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Question '95 Sounds/AC

Hello everyone, having lurked around for answers for a while I thought I would just make an account. I'm not very car knowledgeable so bear with me here, haha.

Recently I've noticed on my 1995 (3.4L v6 w/ 175k miles on it) that there is a hissing noise coming from the front-right side of the car. This issue arose recently after we refilled the freon about a month ago. We also refilled it like a week ago and the air barely (if at all) is cold anymore. Also, whenever the air is on there is this somewhat humming-whirring sound when I accelerate, if the air is off everything sounds normal.

There aren't any other issues with the car other than this. I've driven it almost over 800 miles over the course of a week after noticing the hissing noise. The engine and whatnot sound lovely. What would most likely be causing these issues and what should I look for/try to do to fix them?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Rhapsk
...there is a hissing noise coming from the front-right side of the car. This issue arose recently after we refilled the freon about a month ago. We also refilled it like a week ago and the air barely (if at all) is cold anymore. Also, whenever the air is on there is this somewhat humming-whirring sound when I accelerate, if the air is off everything sounds normal.
It's either:
1) You have a large leak in your A/C system.
2) You have a snake wrapped up under the hood.
Given you're losing your A/C, and have charged it twice within the last month, I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say your problem is #1.
Look at the compressor, associated hoses and connections for any oily residue, which would help pinpoint the source of your leak. If you have to ask how, you're probably better off having someone with the experience and equipment fix it. That, or roll down your windows and drive fast!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:09 AM
4th Gear Member

get some refrigerant with dye and put it in. At least you'll have an idea where the leak is when you go to a shop for the repair.