95 Camaro starting/electric issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 11:19 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

^^^ agree with Peter, had the same thing happen to me. had to hold the key in a certain spot to get the car home one night. new ignition switch fixed it. once I got it apart I could see the contacts was fried

Old 12-05-2019, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by peterpar
Here's a drawing from the 2000 service manual to show you the location. It should be the same for a 1995.
sorry for all the questions! Any idea what a garage (not dealership) price range would be for a new ignition switch to be installed?

Old 12-05-2019, 11:41 AM
2nd Gear member

The cost of the switch and the local labor rates will determine the total price. Have you considered doing it yourself if you're concerned about cost? You have only two screws, a couple connectors to unplug and a rod from the key switch above to disconnect to replace the switch. Craby could give you a better description of how hard a job it is since he's replaced his.

Old 12-05-2019, 11:44 AM

The cost of the switch and the local labor rates will determine the total price. Have you considered doing it yourself if you're concerned about cost? You have only two screws, a couple connectors to unplug and a rod from the key switch above to disconnect to replace the switch. Craby could give you a better description of how hard a job it is since he's replaced his.
I will probably have to do it myself! LOL. I've never removed a steering column/air bag before (I'm assuming that would be the process).

Old 12-05-2019, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear member

You don't have to. The switch is located at the base of the steering column. The worse part is getting yourself in a comfortable position under the dash while you remove and replace the switch. You will probably have to remove the dash panel under the column and loosen the column mounting bolts to get better access to switch. I would also disconnect the positive battery cable.

Old 12-05-2019, 12:04 PM
2nd Gear member

Here are pages from the 1995 service manual detailing how to replace the switch and also disabling the air bag that may help.

Attached Files
Old 12-06-2019, 03:55 PM

I replaced the ignition switch today by just dropping the steering column and it was indeed very difficult to do because of not having much room to work. I still can't get the very back bolt that holds the dimmer switch bracket to the ignition switch bracket. It's like it don't fit or the hole in ignition switch bracket ain't tapped. Guess I should have test fitted that bolt when I had both switches removed. I also pulled back on the signal lever to test the dimmer switch and it clicked once and no2 will only pull back a little ways with no click. Anyway I hooked everything electrical back up and everything worked just fine. Might have to take ignition switch back out tomorrow and test fit that one bolt and figure out how to adjust the dimmer switch.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear member

Did you read the ignition switch replacement instructions posted above? It talks about positions the key switch and ignition switch should be in when reinstalling the new ignition switch. It also mentions how to adjust the dimmer switch afterwards. Because I've never had to replace this switch on one of my own cars, I don't really have any other insight to what you're experiencing. Do the high beams work?

Old 12-06-2019, 05:48 PM

Did you read the ignition switch replacement instructions posted above? It talks about positions the key switch and ignition switch should be in when reinstalling the new ignition switch. It also mentions how to adjust the dimmer switch afterwards. Because I've never had to replace this switch on one of my own cars, I don't really have any other insight to what you're experiencing. Do the high beams work?
Yes I read them and it was a big help! I don't really understand the dimmer switch adjustment instructions though LOL. It got dark and my carport isn't suitable for mechanic work after dark so I checked the switch to make sure car would start and run. I want to bolt the steering column back up and take it about 5 miles to my cousins garage building to finish up the job properly since he has the facilities, tools etc to do it. I don't reckon that would be a problem?

Last edited by Bitharrell; 12-06-2019 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:34 AM

I got the ignition switch installed and the dimmer switch adjusted and it starts up and works like it's suppose to! Thank you all so much, I couldn't have done this without all you're help!!! The security light remains on constantly but the kit to bypass the VATS systen will be here Monday and I'm hoping that will solve the security light staying on?

Quick Reply: 95 Camaro starting/electric issues