95 camaro high idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:21 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 95 camaro high idle

i am looking to buy another camaro, its a 1995 3.4 automatic and it has a high idle, he said the idle was adjusted by previous owner to make it faster(hes full of ****) because im 99.9% sure you cant adjust idle on this year/engine camaro, and a high idle wont make it faster at all... i am pretty sure its a vaccum leak that would cause a high idle on this year right? what vaccum line would it be causing a high idle? is there anything else that would cause a high idle on this car?

Old 08-11-2010, 05:27 PM
4th Gear Member

A bad throttle position sensor.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:34 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i knew you or craby would be first posters, i ended up selling my other 94camaro now i can get one that actually runs for the same price i sold old one, it will just be a daily driver for next 2months until mililitary, i got 2 others im looking at and whatever i pick will be camaro number 5 for me. throttle position sensor is what i was thinking but, then wouldnt it give it an eratic idle also?

Last edited by NEW_CAMARO_OWNER; 08-11-2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The throttle position sensor sends a signal to the computer to control fuel supply, ignition timing, etc. off idle. What affects fast or slow idle is the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor. That, or the electrical circuit is what you want to look at, as long as you're positive the butterfly is completely closed.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
The throttle position sensor sends a signal to the computer to control fuel supply, ignition timing, etc. off idle. What affects fast or slow idle is the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor. That, or the electrical circuit is what you want to look at, as long as you're positive the butterfly is completely closed.
Is the throttle position sensor and IAC two seperate components? I thought that both were built into one component and mounted on the Throttle body.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:23 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NEW_CAMARO_OWNER
i knew you or craby would be first posters
Craby, we gotta get a life! LOL.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

lol ya think. soccer starts next week. does that count. lol just got home from fishing a hour or so ago. im not sure if you can set the tb like a lt1 but yes you can set the idle up, now if everything is working right you cant set it down. computer should hold it at 800 to 950 even with the butterflys closed completely. by the way if butterflys are closed to far the iac will get overworked and may have problems getting the high idle called for when the a/c is on. anyways is it throwing any codes,,, you dont have a scanner yet do you? lol, could be iac, maf, vacumm leak, intake leak, temp sensor. check fuel pressure and fuel pressure regulator for fuel leakage at the vavcum hose. it also could be the idle or butterfly stop screw or lever could have been adjusted higher then it should be. either by bending the stop or adjusting the screw if it has one. again not sure on the 3.4 and im to tired tonight to look it up.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

good buy for $700? 95 3.4 automatic,arctic white high idle and needs driver side fender replaced, im going to look at it friday and if everything is good ill be driving it home, then she will be getting a paint job in two weeks(oem color) of course make her look/run like new,ill definatley post some pics of before after pics...assuming everything checks out
being on here helping people is better than playing video games/watching tv like most people osduck/craby

Old 08-11-2010, 11:31 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Yes, the throttle position sensor and idle air control (IAC) are two separate components doing two totally different things.
I do believe that the T.B has an idle stop screw, but it should be covered up with a pressed in factory cover. If it's showing, then the previous owner probably did open it up to speed up the idle manually (as you mentioned in the first post). That's not the right way to do it though, the engine should idle correctly if everything is working as it should. That would be the first thing I would fiddle with to see if the idle will come back down. If not, then look for it to be an IAC issue. Take the intake tube off the throttle body, and start the engine. With your finger, cover the opening that's in the throat of the TB, right in front of the butterfly. If the idle slows down to where it should, it's an IAC problem you have. That opening is an air bypass, and the IAC controls how much or little air to flow through to keep the idle where it should be. Oh, and a bad IAC won't necessarily trip an error code either.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 08-11-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:46 AM
In the Staging Lanes

alright thanks, camaro69 good list of things to check, what part of chicago do you live in north,south,central?

Quick Reply: 95 camaro high idle