95 Camaro Cranking Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Default 95 Camaro Cranking Problems

Will start fine for a while no problems.Then it will be a butt and u have to turn it over and over and over and it will eventually crank up sometimes it may take ten secs other times twenty or more. Wires all look good as far as i can tell. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this problem and what it took to fix.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

so its turning over but will eventually start, how long from the last time it had new plugs? is this a lt1 or v6?

Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 PM

We just had the motor rebuilt a year ago and its been fine up till a month ago. Once it cranks there is no lack in power it has a comp cam and all new sensors, fuel pump and filter, does it more when it is hot but will do it when it is cold also, thinking it may be the ign module or switch. Just hoping somebody else has had problem and figured it out being how much those parts cost.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:49 PM

its a 3.4 L

Old 08-13-2010, 01:14 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check plug wires and coil wire. sometimes the coil wire is not pushed in all the way and it can eat the end of the wire off. take the fuel filter off and dump contents into a clear container and check for crud or water. if clean reinstall if you like. or change if you like. lol. if you have access to a fuel pressure tester check fuel pressure. try turning the key on and off a few times before turning it over and see if it starts right up. if so it could be fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator. pull the vacumm hose for the fuel pressure regulator off at the manifold and see if theres fuel in it, if so fpr is shot. and for piece of mind you may want to test the evap system. sticky on the top of the lt1 section.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

When you turn the ignition on, not to run, can you hear the fuel pump prime? Maybe the pump relay isn't working, and the engine finally starts once your oil pressure builds high enough to send power to the pump. The oil pressure sender is used as a fail-safe backup in case the relay fails.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 AM

that was the first thing i listened for when it started this crap and i hear it everytime when u first turn the key. im going to have a friend check and see what codes come up on it within the next week.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:13 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I know this sounds a little to basic but have you checked the terminals on your battery? My positive post connection was really loose (I'm assuming from all the rumble under the hood) and it started fine every time, UNTIL- ya that one time and I had to tighten it, jump it and its been fine ever since. Or have Auto Zone check your battery - poss your alternator is going bad. I like to start simple

Old 08-14-2010, 11:17 AM
In the Staging Lanes

second thought here- you say it cranks, sometimes it takes awhile- check your starter- I just replaced mine- thats a whole nother story

Old 08-14-2010, 03:00 PM

ill check both of those out. it don't have any problem turning over just doesn't seem to be firing or getting fuel. Im going to try and change out the oil pressure sensor and fuel relay and see what happens ive got a list of things to try from asking on here starting cheapest being unemployed at the moment and working up.

Quick Reply: 95 Camaro Cranking Problems