95 Camaro 3.4 mystery ARCING

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Now I've heard everything......well for today anyway!
Too bad the Jeep guy with the problem never responded back.
I like the one suggestion of soldering a wire from the inner to outer metal parts of the harmonic dampener, if that's what's going on.
I'm curious though, how the rubber isolator ring can "build up static electricity", unless the thing is worn and it's spinning the outer part of the dampener like a bearing....miraculously without it flying apart I might add!

Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 PM

I read that jeep story before I came to this forum and I'm not sure if I buy it or not.... but with the car running like crap, spark plugs arcing and all the other weird stuff it does....I'm pretty sure that the spark is not static created by the balancer. I could be wrong........I'm sure it's the PCM, crank sensor, cam sensor, ICM...the entire ignition system really ...duh.....but I can't afford to throw parts at it till I find out. I'm still searching guys...........anymore ideas?

Old 04-13-2012, 12:56 PM
1st Gear Member

You should try the solution anyways. It is VERY simple. Take off the belt and run the car. See if the problem is fixed. You don't need the belt to start the car. It can run off the battery for a few minutes.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:45 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

that would also take the alternator out of the equation. stuff a bunch of bounce in there, lol.

Last edited by craby; 04-13-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:57 AM

bounce.............great idea bro I should stuff the whole entire engine compartment with it......lol.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by johnreid
I'm sure it's the PCM, crank sensor, cam sensor, ICM...the entire ignition system really

If your sure all those parts are some how ganging together to cause this issue then what other ideas matter? I have a crazy idea, you could take it to a real mechainc that has an oscilloscope and a clue and he could tell you what is going on without any guessing.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Gorn
If your sure all those parts are some how ganging together to cause this issue then what other ideas matter? I have a crazy idea, you could take it to a real mechainc that has an oscilloscope and a clue and he could tell you what is going on without any guessing.
I agree. A real mechanic with real equipment and a clue would be nice bro but I can't afford to pay a mechanic right now. If I don't figure it out soon, and I will ....... I just might have to take your advice.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Well, I'm waiting for a OBD2 to USB connector to come in so I can run diagnostics from my laptop. That short when hooking up the ground to the battery has gotten worse and is apparently part if not all of my problems. You can loosely lay the negative cable on the battery and it will start to slightly sizzle and you can see steady fire arcing like a little stun gun..........????????? I also noticed some noise coming from the right front door speaker yesterday like static when the radio was off...and now the battery will go dead overnight. I'm gonna have to rip the car apart to find whats causing the problem I guess.......I'm bored Might as well.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Or you could hook up a light between the negative and the battery. Since there is a conncetion it should light. Then pull each fuse out one at a time and see when the light goes out. Once you done with the fuse box try your larfer breakers. If you still have it your going to to move to the large things like the altermator. You know it the rectifier bridge failed it could cause a large static dischage running and a hvy power draw when off,,,, jus sayn.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM

I'll try that Gorn. Thanks. Just put the multimeter up to the belt while the car was running at the voltage is a steady 35-38 volts DC coming straight from the serpentine belt. I'm kinda confused cause I really have no clue if it's DC or AC voltage .....it will read around 40v when I switch the meter to AC...... Anyone know what that means?

Well, I actually get a negative voltage reading if I hook the ground to the battery and touch the red lead to the belt.......??????????

Last edited by johnreid; 04-22-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: 95 Camaro 3.4 mystery ARCING