95 3.4 Fuel or computer problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:40 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 95 3.4 Fuel or computer problem?

I have been having issues with my '95 now. About 3 months ago I changed my plugs, wires, and fuel filter. Everything went fine until I developed a small antifreeze leak. I changed out the water pump and the leak stopped. Next thing to go out was the starter... bought a new one and replaced it. The other day on my way home from work the car started to bog down all of a sudden while driving, so I pulled over and put it in park. It would idle fine but when I attempted to give it some gas it would bog down and backfire from somewhere in the engine compartment. I sat on the side of the road for about 10 minutes with it in park and idling and then it seem to run fine... until I got home and the car died in my parking area. The car would not start again... I tried and tried. I replaced the fuel pump relay due to not hearing the fuel pump kick on when I turned the key on. The car fired right up and ran for about 10 minutes and died and would not start again until the next day. I just replaced the fuel filter again and it did the same thing... started up just fine, ran for a few minutes and then died and would not start again. I am using another vehicle to get around in the mean time, but I have no OBD 1 or OBD 2 to scan for codes, and I don't think it would do any good anyway due to no check engine light coming on. I also have no way to get this car to the shop as the shop is about 50 miles away. Any ideas or suggestions? I am at a total loss.

Thanks

Old 01-01-2013, 07:02 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like your fuel pump bit the dirt. It is a very coomon problem some fail all at once and some give their owners a few weeks of "hard to starts" maybe a few dies while driving but it fires right back up once they tow it home. Try just turning the key on and off a when you heard the pump then try to start it.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I have tried that with no luck. I did see fuel coming from the fuel line when I turned the key on when replacing the fuel filter. I can also hear it kick on, just unable to get it to start unless it sits for a while. It also appears that my battery needs replaced as well.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by KcLive
I did see fuel coming from the fuel line when I turned the key on when replacing the fuel filter.
"Coming from the fuel line"? Fuel should have literally shot across the room when you cycled the pump. A working fuel pump doesn't mean a good working fuel pump.
Check your fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Autozone may have a fuel pressure gauge in their loaner program if you don't have one.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:09 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Turns out after checking the fuel pressure with a fuel injection pressure tester my pressure was at 38 psi, so on a hunch I decided to go ahead and replace my ICM. Once I had the new ICM on the car and had it back together it fired up and ran just fine. I let the car run for about 45 minutes so I knew it was good and warmed up, shut the car off and waited for a minute and went to restart the car. What do you know? My car restarted just fine! It seems my ICM had gone bad. The new ICM I bought has lifetime replacement so if it goes out again I should be covered.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that helped and offered suggestions. I now have my baby back up and running again.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Still having some issues with the car. It takes 2 or 3 times to start it, sometimes after it starts it runs rough for a couple of minutes, other times it runs just fine. It is also going through fuel like an alcoholic through beer. I just changed the fuel filter, plugs, and wires about 4 months ago. I am at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks