'94 Z28 going through water pumps

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 12:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default '94 Z28 going through water pumps

My '94 Z28 had a new engine installed in March 2011 and a new water pump was installed with it. That water pump went out Jan 2013 and now that one has gone out as well. Someone suggested that I need to use the newer brand of antifreeze since the engine is newer, that the antifreeze may be the problem.
Anyone ever heard of this? The water pumps are new, not remanufactured, and have a warranty. But still, taking the time to do all this is getting ridiculous.
what do you all think? what antifreeze is everyone else using??

Old 01-15-2014, 12:14 PM
4th Gear Member

It being a newer engine and a newer pump is not going to determine the use of Dex-cool or Ford/Chryslers HOAT coolant. I would suspect something else to be the cause. What part of the pump is actually failing?

Old 01-15-2014, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you using a cheapo brand pump? The money you may save can get eaten up by replacement time and/or costs.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm not exactly sure what part of it is failing, I just noticed that it is leaking water. And it's the new lifetime warranty one purchased from O'Reilly. The receipt does not indicate a brand, but we went with a new one as opposed to a rebuilt one.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

That pump brand is named "Murray". O'Reilly Automotive owns Murray's Auto Stores, so that would be a "house brand", made who knows where (but I can guess). Lifetime warranties are great, as long as you like changing parts your whole life.
You need to see where the leak is coming from. If you didn't do a thorough job cleaning the old gasket off the block, it could be coming from there.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Overdrive Member

I work for O'reilly Auto parts and the new pumps are acutally made for us by Cardone. We were having too many issues with the Murray line, and once CSK was bought out they also took on some of CSK's lines which included the Cardone water pumps. It is going to depend on where the pump is leaking to know what problems you are having. The rear shaft leaking could be an issue with the cam gear drive. The mounting area leaking could be issues with other accessories or even the block.

When I sell some one a WP for a LT1 engine I always recomend the new over rebuilt. We used to have a lifetime warranty rebuilt unit that was not the best, it was from our Murray line. It didnt look as good as the A1Cardone rebuilt but it had a better warranty, and now we do not even offer it, but if you bought the rebuilt with the lifetime warranty you get another rebuilt but keep the lifetime warranty. I have not seen any of the Cardone new LT1 pumps I have sold come back for warranty, I have seen the A1Cardone and the Murray come back many times.

Massey

OH yea just to avoid some confusion, Cardone is new parts, A1Cardone is remanned parts but from the same parent company Cardone.

Last edited by Massey; 01-15-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:47 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

rock auto has cardone pump for around 100 bucks. oem acdelco is 216. non oem acdelco pump is 90sum bucks. hope its not leaking on the opti.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

So, O'Reilly's website is wrong then? They show two LT1 pumps, a reman. MasterPro and a new Murray: List: Search for 'water pump' | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Fwiw, I put one of these pumps on my LT1, and it's working problem free: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gm...7100/overview/

Old 01-16-2014, 06:11 PM
Overdrive Member

On my store shelves I have MasterPro (Cardone in our box) and the A1Cardone in their white box with red white and blue label. The Murray line is no longer carried in my area, I dont know about other areas. There are other Murray parts we still carry and those are just fine like the Belt tensioners and replacment pulleys but we dropped the water pump and fuel pump line about a year ago.

Massey

Old 01-17-2014, 10:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm going with the new one, turns out I had the A1Cardone in my car. So hopefully this will be the last time to change this. Third time's the charm, right!?

Quick Reply: '94 Z28 going through water pumps