94 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Default 94 Z28

Well, I found a 94 z28 LT1 for a reasonable price. Dents and dings, needs paint on the back bumper. General body work and worn front seats in the interior. The guy seems to be willing to take under 2k though. It is a 6 speed he claims shifts great, engine has 170k on it though but he claims he rebuilt it recently and it runs strong. Says his wife is making him sell it because of tickets and she is worried he is gonna kill himself or someone else. How easy or these to work on, I do 90% of my mechanical work as long as it isn't a large job. I just want to be able to work on general things to keep cost down. How durable are the LT1s. I am just worried about it being so ragged out that it will not help my driving situation to buy it. What kind of gas mileage you guys seeing from this year?

The car has all the options I'd like T-Tops, power accessories, etc.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Default RE: 94 Z28

Just ran a check on the title and seems at one point it was wrecked and rebuilt.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Body work should be pretty easy on it, as far as any engine work its pretty hard, espically if he hasnt replaced the opti-spark. Which he probably has becuase they go out at about 100,000 miles. You can get 15-17 mpg, with your 6 speed if you try you can get 20 but its hard to not get on it. And the lt1 is pretty well built, other than the opti spark.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 AM

Seems like the rebuilt title was issued several owners ago. So no telling what really happened to it. When it comes to repairs, what usually goes first? How much is the opti-spark? Just incase. Would like something that I don't have to pour too much into at first. I do not mind regular repairs though.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

id recemend a MSD opti which 515$ on summit. When changing out ur opti i would also change the plugs, wires, and water pump while u are down there.

Old 06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
3rd Gear Member

First of all let me tell you that there is nothing easy about working on the LT1. Yes it can be done in your garage but repairs on this engine will take longer than most. Ask anyone who does their own repairs and they can attest to this. I do most work on my car and I'll usually set a day aside to get the job done. The LT1 is a very durable engine and a good performance platform should you decide to mod plus it will last a long time but again not the car you want to work on if your not mechanicly inclined or a novice.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Overdrive Member

I agree 100% with LT1RUNNER, repairs are pretty tough, mostly because you have to find creative ways to get your tools where they need to go. Most LT1's dont' have many problems. The Opti is the most common problem as has already been mentioned, other than that all LT1's leak oil. It usually appears to be coming from the rear-main seal, but it is infact a leak from the back of the intake manifold, so if you have a slow oil leak it's nothing to be concerned about. If you run the car hard they can have a tendancy to spin bearings, but if you take care of the car, it will take care of you. I would take a close look under the car to see if it has had any work done to the frame from the wreck it was in, you don't want to purchase a car that has had frame damage because most of the time it will never drive the same.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:01 AM

you all wanna talk about doing normal repairs on them? swap an LT1 into a 3.4 engine bay now thats alot of fun. i just finished mine 110+ hours or so. went from a 3.4 A4 to a LT1 M6 talk about night and day lol, and 20 MPG is not hard at all on the highway im pulling roughly 24-27 MPG at 80 mph on a main highway steady speed barely see the needle move. lol but yea just to echo everyone else i had a harder time changing plugs and wires then i did the entire swap.!!!!!