94 Camaro Z28 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:52 PM
Default 94 Camaro Z28 Problems

OK.. So I picked up a Camaro Z28 that someone had started working on and was unable to finish. They were changing a spark plug and stripped it out. While trying to fix it they made it worst and eventually the head was pulled, welded and re tapped. The car sat that way for some time and then I picked it up off them.

When I received the car, the passenger side head was off and everything, the water pump and everything required to remove a head and water pump.

The car is back together now and runs, but here are my problems I can't figure out.

1. The car in park idles at 2000 rpms, as soon as you shift into gear it idles down.

2. The car has plenty of power, except off the line. Off the line the car is VERY sluggish until the RPMs pick up. Once the RPMs pick up it lights the tires up. I can't power brake with it how it currently sits and I would assume it would be able to in 1st gear (automatic).

3. The car starts hard. When you turn the key it starts slow like the battery doesn't have the necessary cranking amps. The battery is brand new and I've actually upgraded it twice assuming the battery might not have the necessary cranking amps. The car turns over slow and then as soon as the engine fires off (usually fairly quickly) it picks up.. The lights appear to dim on the dash, etc...

I don't know if all these issues may be related or different, but I want to throw them all on the table. We also have a problem with the brakes, but I'm sure I can fix that without any help and doubt it has anything to do with the other problems.

Car is a fairly stock 94 Z28 T Top Camaro.
17" rims (10 spoke ss rims?)
K&N Cold Air Intake
Automatic
New plugs & New wires

We've got all the vacuum lines hooked up and we've verified they're correct. We had some check engine problems due to cracked vacuum lines, but I believe they're fixed now.

The previous owner appeared to do a lot of things incorrectly. The exhaust was installed aftermarket and one end sticks out further then the other. The exhaust sits on the crossmember. It's going to be quite a project, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Tonny

Old 12-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Tech Droid
Default RE: 94 Camaro Z28 Problems

Check for vacuum leaks, make sure the throttle valve closes fully and linkage is not binding, check for leaks around PCV valve and PCV valve itself, check for bad EGR valve. The IAC valve controls the idle speed, but can't do the job if the throttle valve do not close fully, or there is a vacuum leak downstream of the throttle valve.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:23 AM
Default RE: 94 Camaro Z28 Problems

Thank you for your quick response.

We've checked and replaced vacuum lines and did not find any leaks. The throttle body is operating correctly and the linkage is not binding. The PCV valve was recenntly replaced and I will check to make sure it's not leaking around it.

I will also test the EGR valve. If anybody else has any other recommendations please let me know.

Thank you,

Tony