94 Bose -- lame or broken?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
2nd Gear member
Default 94 Bose -- lame or broken?

My 94 has the Bose system and I'm pretty unhappy with it.

1) FM reception is pretty bad. Quite a bit worse than the radios in other GM products of similar vintage. I guess it could be the antenna but how do I test that?
2) It just doesn't get that loud. When I turn on the radio I have to go at least a third of the way up (bars on the display) to have adequate volume. The other night I was coming down the NE Extension of the PA Turnpike and jamming to AC/DC's "Have A Drink On Me" had the volume pegged. Sure it was loud but not *that* loud. Is this normal? If not would the problem be in the head unit or in the speakers? I tried moving the balance from full left to full right and the sound level was about equal so it's not like one speaker is dead.
3) CD player is dead and that's a major drag for an old man like me with lots of CDs. I know this just plain "happens" with old radios and the only reason I mention it is for the unlikely case where the head unit receives amp power from the same fuse as the CD player but the radio part still plays.

I'll be doing *something* becasue this just isn't good enough.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if your like me a stock system will not have the volume or base. check over what crutchfield has. im usin kenwood x994 with a couple amps and a sub.