5 speed tranny

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 06:02 PM
3rd Gear Member
Default 5 speed tranny

Ok so my tranny has been getting a little hard to shift into 1 and second gear and I was wondering if it's just something that is causing it to not line up properly or would it just be the clutch? it's a 1996 3.8L camaro. Tranny is a 5 speed manual. Just want your thoughts and opinions and help as I'd like to know before I pick up a new clutch.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:10 PM
2nd Gear member

yes it most definitely could be a clutch problem,.. typically this is so when its hard to shift into all gears. im assuming its hard to get into first from a stop eh? it will get into gear while its moving because everything is rotating etc..
try changing the fluid in the trans and see what happens from there. if no go, then take a look at your lines for leaks, your slave cylinder for leaks/residue, or ever loose bolts that secure the slave cylinder.
could even be something as simple as your pedal out of adjustment

but if its serious trans issues, your dog teeth on the synchros or blocking rings could be going bad. check for gold or silver metal flakes in the old trans fluid

Old 03-07-2011, 06:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

First is when it's setting still and second is both still and moving. I'll check out the slave and see how it's holding up. How hard would it be to replace all the gearing in the tranny if that is the problem!

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM
2nd Gear member

pretty good (difficult). you could try to find a used trans or just send it out(idk how much a rebuild costs).. but that is only if that is the problem.. could be any of the problems listed above though..
definitely survey the area and see if you can see anything fishy

Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
I'll check out the slave and see how it's holding up.
Ya, good luck with that.

Originally Posted by 3800camaro
How hard would it be to replace all the gearing in the tranny if that is the problem!
You have any idea how much a single gear costs? The counter gear itself is $600-700 alone. Besides it would not be "all the gearing" it would just be the synchronizers.

If you start the car at a stand still in neutrel can you put it in reverse without grinding?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

It doesn't grind but it's a pita to get it to engage into reverse.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Reverse is a non-synchronizer gear. If you get it in without grinding I do not think its you clutch hanging up. Even if it was you Slave Cylinder it would act just like a failing clutch. The reason a failing clutch make the car hard to get into gear is because the even with the clutch pushed the input shaft is being spun by the failing clutch or weak slave cylinder. With a synchronized gear that make it hard to force in. With a Non-synchronized it get noisy because you are just pushing two gear together and one of them is spinning. Now I am wondering if your having a shifter issue. Does the shifter feel loose? Can you lift it up and down at all?

BTW, The slave cylinder is inside that bell housing. Step one to inspect it is remove transmission.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok so then it's most likely my clutch starting to fail then. Shift is fine.

Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ok so then it's most likely my clutch starting to fail then. Shift is fine.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i have a 94 3.4 5 speed an new clutch was put in but i can shift into reverse an back up but it pops out of reverse whats up with that

Quick Reply: 5 speed tranny