5.3 vs LS1

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:56 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Why is there labor charges on the headgasket? You don't think that and engine/tranny swap and custom harness is simpler then a head gasket job?

Level of difficulty LT1 head gasket "4" (1-10 Scale)
Level of difficulty of swaping a different engine/tranny/computer system "8"

If my back was not bad I could for a head gasket in about 8 hours. I would want about 25 hours to change over Kmembers and install LS1 style motor & tranny

Are you thinking of doing this yourself?
No I don't think it's simpler, I just think that if I'm gonna spend a 1000K plus for a head gasket job with the possibility of having something else go wrong with it, then maybe spend a little extra and get a low mileage 5.3 cam it maybe port the heads and be done with it.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The $1000 is if you pay someone to do it. Are you planning on paying someone to do this conversion for you? Cause I am thinking that price tag is going to 4-5K.

You can find low miles LT1's for about $1000 install should be 8-10 hours. Expect another 500 for Tune-up, Belt, hoses, stuff like that. That is your $2300 budget right they.

When you go the conversion route your going to need a LS1 Kmember, You can pick them up pretty cheap but then you need to swap your whole front suspention over. That kind of stuff is very time consuming.

Last edited by Gorn; 09-29-2011 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:47 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Cheeks

that means, anything for an LS1 swap, you'll need for a 5.3 swap. The 4.8, 5.3, 5.7, 6.0, 6.2 and 7.0 engines are all considered part of the LSx family, so if you're considering any of these engine swaps, you'll need a wiring harness/ecu, engine, trans, coils etc etc etc
There was a post for LT1 to LS1 conversion that they just had to switch some wires around and change in the tune for computer system. Getting a LS1 OBD II computer to work in a OBD 1 car would not be fun.

We have one member that did a 97 LT1 to 98 LS1 system and it like 3 wires that have to change and the car was drivable.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:22 PM
August 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

There was a post for LT1 to LS1 conversion that they just had to switch some wires around and change in the tune for computer system. Getting a LS1 OBD II computer to work in a OBD 1 car would not be fun.

We have one member that did a 97 LT1 to 98 LS1 system and it like 3 wires that have to change and the car was drivable.
they make harnesses now for around 3-400 bucks, the tunability of an LSx computer is vastly superior to an LTx computer.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear member

...at a vast expense

Old 09-29-2011, 07:00 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Cheeks
they make harnesses now for around 3-400 bucks, the tunability of an LSx computer is vastly superior to an LTx computer.
Well the 97 Lt1 PCM is the same as the 98 LS1 PCM how can it be "vastly superior" and why would anyone spend 3-400 instead of switching 3 wires? Unless your saying there are wiring harnesses so a LS1 computer will work with a OBD1 computer system? That is a new one on me. Link please

Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The mechanic behind me said his book called for 13.5 hours labor for the head gasket. I was thinking since I've never done one that would be 20-25 hours for me to do it. Guess I could give it a whirl and if it don't work out I'll just get another motor and chaulk it down as a learning experience.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:10 PM
2nd Gear member

Well the 97 Lt1 PCM is the same as the 98 LS1 PCM how can it be "vastly superior"
LS series engine smug, that's how. Great performers they may be, but the fanboys constantly forget that you pay a massive premium for a Gen III motor.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear member

I completely agree with Gorn.

Replacing a head gasket is a simple afternoon project compared to swapping an from an LT1 to any of the LSx engines. It is not a simple motor swap like it used to be in the old days. You have to work with the ECM, harness, exhaust and a ton of little issues that will pop up. You will not be able to complete the LT1 to LSx swap in a weekend and it will cost you well over $2K by the time you are done.

Your easiest route to a good running ride would be to rebuild your LT1. As long as you are just keeping it a 5.7, machine work would be a minimum and parts are readily available. You should be able to be completely done and back on the road for less than a grand. Of course, you will have to wait for the block and heads to come back from the machine shop, so it may be down for a week or two.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Grandpaswagon
I completely agree with Gorn.

Replacing a head gasket is a simple afternoon project compared to swapping an from an LT1 to any of the LSx engines. It is not a simple motor swap like it used to be in the old days. You have to work with the ECM, harness, exhaust and a ton of little issues that will pop up. You will not be able to complete the LT1 to LSx swap in a weekend and it will cost you well over $2K by the time you are done.

Your easiest route to a good running ride would be to rebuild your LT1. As long as you are just keeping it a 5.7, machine work would be a minimum and parts are readily available. You should be able to be completely done and back on the road for less than a grand. Of course, you will have to wait for the block and heads to come back from the machine shop, so it may be down for a week or two.
I don't have to up and running by next week, just racking my brain what to do with money available. Think rebuilding a motor might be above my pay grade, head gasket maybe. Might save the LSx swap for my olds since it's my long term project. Found a fresh machined LT1 block for $500 maybe go that route with cam and freshening up my heads. What do shops typically charge to assemble a motor? any ideas.