4th Generation Dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 05:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 4th Generation Dash

I am sure there some threads or "how to's" located someplace on how to get a 97 through 02 dashboard out of a Camaro. I figured I would just try to see if anyone could give me some pointers. I know the plastic mat (for lack of knowing its true name without calling it a pad) on most camaro's either will break or will crack when removed. So lets just assume I have removed it (trust me mine came out in many pieces), and the radio, heater/ac controls, instrument cluster, kick panel below the steering wheel and glove box. Will I need to take out the center consule? Where are the bolts located that I need to remove the rest?

I am doing this mostly because I can get a dash pretty cheap and in my car the air bags deployed. I am not concerned with making the airbags work ever again because cars back in the golden days of automotive history didnt come with them. Perhaps down the road a little bit I might ensure those components work but for now I am just looking to make the dash look not so tore up.

Thanks for those of you can offer me some assitance.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Overdrive Member

Here is the quick and dirty

remove "A" piller covers
remove the forward cover (part that usually comes out in pieces and is velcro'd in)
Remove bolts holding the steering column to the dash,
remove console
remove heater controls and radio
remove bolts behind the console on the floor
remove kick pannels (seats may have to come out to make this easier)
remove nuts behind the kick panels (careful about the ground wires and make sure you put them back)
remove the instrument cluster cover and cluster
remove the 7mm screws on the top of the dash
The dash should now come off you may have to check for some screws or wires holding you up but I think I covered most of everything. It has been a long time since I removed the dash from one of these and my memory is not what it used to be.

Massey

Old 11-28-2010, 12:36 AM
In the Staging Lanes

I just wanted to put one in that looks better then the crap I have in my car now. I really want to bring my car back to life from where it was. Love the pics of your car by the way. I am keeping my RS kit on my car, just want to find the front valance for a 98 RS (two pieces) so I can make it look newer.