4th gen wiper blades - help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Default 4th gen wiper blades - help.

Wife drives a '97 Firebird. She was under strict order to never have anything ever replaced on the car as that is strictly my area. Well, she OKed the tire shop to replace the wiper blades. The factory ones are gone and I've tried every aftermarket one I can find; nothing fits or cleans the whole windshield.

My GM dealer said GM no longer stocks replacements.

Help. Where can I find replacements that will fit AND clean the windshield? The darn thing curves too sharply for the standard junk, which fit the arm, to clean.

Was there ever a different arm that has the end curving in rather then out? That is what keeps the better after market blades from fitting.

Anybody have a parts car with originals and wouldn't mind selling me a set? Surely refills are available if I had a factory set of blades.

Sorry if this is already posted somewhere. I'm new to your forums and I couldn't find a 'search' any where.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
3rd Gear Member

well i havnt tried any other ive just dealt wit the problem but this will answer my ? bout it lol

Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM
ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

hmm...i own a carquest store and have carquest wipers on my car and haven't had a problem...that's weird that you do...if you go to carquest and they have trico(that's the brand i sell) the number is 24-59R...you SHOULDN'T have a problem but if you do, sometimes you can try a shorter blade(shorter i mean like an inch) and it usually fixes the problem

Old 01-23-2009, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestion whammer. I might have to go with a shorter blade as a plan B.

Still, just drives me nuts that the aftermarket and GM has left the 4th gen high and dry on this one.

Kind of hoping someone chims in and says that, '...X year 4th gen used a wiper arm that curves in (towards the windshield) instead of out...'

Just seems like a major engineering oversight on the part of GM. We love this car, just dislike the lack of a proper fitting and easy to find blade. I'll have to check with my local CarQuest. There is one in town.

Anybody else?? I'm open to all suggestions.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Overdrive Member

I have always gone to Pep Boys or Auto Zone, read the wiper fit guide, and found the part number it said that fits. Never had any problems.

Old 01-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Ninja Administrator

ive replaced with about everything that autozone carries. works just fine for me

Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 PM
Overdrive Member

i hate installing the wipers on these cars

Old 01-23-2009, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear member

I put a set of bosch Icons on my car and they clean the windshield fine, it could be your arm is bent. I had to bend my drivers side arm down towards the windshield a little because it wouldnt apply enough pressure.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Had this issue with a bunch of blades - had to get the "R" blade that whammer mentioned. It still doesn't get all the salt spray off like I'd hoped, but it's "OK" for now. I'm hoping to tweak it a bit further.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I've never met a blade that didn't conform to the curve of the windshield. The spring tension on the wiper arms is what keeps the blades tight to the glass. But from your description it sounds like your arms are bent out, they should be bent in towards the windshield. Bending them in should take care of it.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-23-2009 at 11:23 PM.

Quick Reply: 4th gen wiper blades - help.