4.10s or 3.73s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:32 PM
4th Gear Member
Default RE: 4.10s or 3.73s?

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

i never said it would kill your mpg nor did i say it would hugely affect your top speed. I said it would hurt it more so than 3.73. All in all 3.73 IS in fact more streetable than 4.10s but not by much. If you dont mind sacraficing alittle here and there 4.10s would be perfect. Ive never owned a 4.10 car but Then again we were topping out the speedo and we didnt kno how fast we were actually going.
Your comapring apples to grapfruit here. Unless there is a mordern overdrive trans swapped in that Chevelle it has either a 4 speed or 3 speed auto, neither of which have an over-drive, which is of huge importance here. This is why I don't like when people with very limited experiance give out advice, they always use some off topic example. Spartan this is one of those times where you should be quite and listen,you might learn somthing.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
1st Gear Member

In all actuallity, it's all in what RPM YOU want to be at with any certain speed desired by you. IF you want to run say 2000 RPM's in 6th (given you have a 6 sp?) There is actually a lot of math envolved. You can take your final drive ratio in your transmission and your tire size and multipy them by something (can't remember what it is) and that'll give you a perspective on where you want to be. If I could find the information again I would post it but I can't. Now, there is only .37 turns difference in the two ratio's asked for so it'll depend a little bit more on what you want. I understand that 4.10's are streetable as 3.73's but there is that slight difference. I believe in this situation it's moreof apersonal thing than anything by the one driving the car. Also, if you think about it 3.2X is almost a highway ratio yet top fuel dragsters use that gear ratio. If it wereMY car I would run the 3.72's just for MY satisfaction and no other reason. If my car was ran at the track moreI would throw the4.10's in it just for MY satisfaction. I'm done with my rant now...

Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
1st Gear Member

http://www.4lo.com/calc/geartable.htm

Found one. Here's a little more insite on what I was talking about and it is only about 300 rpm differance or so from eachother.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear Member

first off...these cars already get bad gas milage, so it really doesnt matter, given that its a v8, the majority of people will not keep there foot out of it, gears or no gears
but if you really want gears imo if ur stayin street go with 373 cause theres no need for 410 unless ur car is gonna live at the track or ur supercharged and can afford the gas and just wanted stronger pick up

Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 PM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

Your comapring apples to grapfruit here. Unless there is a mordern overdrive trans swapped in that Chevelle it has either a 4 speed or 3 speed auto, neither of which have an over-drive, which is of huge importance here. This is why I don't like when people with very limited experiEnce give out advice, they always use some off topic example. Spartan this is one of those times where you should be quite and listen,you might learn somthing.
fixed.. again [8D]

But ok i see what your saying, they arent the same. I just figured the same mechanics would be applied.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 PM
2nd Gear member

Seems like there was a post about gears somewhere recently.
Sounded really credible with fancy-math about how the gears never really limited top speed because of something I don't remember.
Let me see if I can find it =)

Old 04-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Ninja Administrator

ORIGINAL: bidicamaro

In all actuallity, it's all in what RPM YOU want to be at with any certain speed desired by you. IF you want to run say 2000 RPM's in 6th (given you have a 6 sp?) There is actually a lot of math envolved. You can take your final drive ratio in your transmission and your tire size and multipy them by something (can't remember what it is) and that'll give you a perspective on where you want to be. If I could find the information again I would post it but I can't. Now, there is only .37 turns difference in the two ratio's asked for so it'll depend a little bit more on what you want. I understand that 4.10's are streetable as 3.73's but there is that slight difference. I believe in this situation it's moreof apersonal thing than anything by the one driving the car. Also, if you think about it 3.2X is almost a highway ratio yet top fuel dragsters use that gear ratio. If it wereMY car I would run the 3.72's just for MY satisfaction and no other reason. If my car was ran at the track moreI would throw the4.10's in it just for MY satisfaction. I'm done with my rant now...
dragsters usually only have 2 speeds though.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:56 AM
1st Gear Member

Actually it's a series of clutches on the T/F and F/C races. If I remember it's 8 10" disks but I've slipped a little lately on the races. They come on a little bit to late on suday and stay on until like 3 in the morning on Monday and my dumb @$$ has to get up to go to work. Anyways, that's off the subject. P/S car's have 4 gears though and most braket racers use a 2 speed tranny and I can't for the life of me remember what the hell it's called?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 AM
Ninja Administrator

powerglide?

Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SpecterGT260

powerglide?
There we go, I knew it was out there.
Also, do we NEED to correct spelling for people? I know I can't spell for nothing but my car doesn't care if I use a rinch or wrench? C'mon now...