3.73's

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 10:27 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 3.73's

Is there a write-up on here about how to chane the gear ratio in a z28 to 3.73's?

Last edited by JakeYeah; 11-11-2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I second this. I would love to up the gears from my existing 3.42 to 3.73's, but I'm not sure what the process is. Internet isn't much help, either

Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 AM
2nd Gear member

Are these on standard cars? Why not make the jump to 4:10s?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 AM
4th Gear Member

I am all for young uns wanting to do things themselves. I've coached my son on many vehicle projects, not just his own. But, I was there to show him, guide him and we have the right tools. I was fortunate when I was 16 to also have had a mentor.

Unless you have someone with experience to be there and help you I encourage you to pay a pro to do it for you. Sure, you could get the gears in and there's a chance that it may go well. As a first timer, your chance of rebuilding the rear end again in short order is much greater.

A couple of jobs I won't tackle myself

rebuilding an auto tranny

installing cam bearings

(naturally cleaning and boring/honing a block I send out as well)

Old 11-12-2012, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

I will agree with the above. I have a very talanted guy that does my trannys and several machine shops that I work with. Cam bearing thats not hard if you have the righ tools. I think the biggest problem young guns have in doing the work them on their own vehicals. THEY DON'T READ THE MANUALS Their are artical written on the subject in all the mags and manuals on just that subject. If you can read and know how to folow instructions, you should be able to get the job done. You can rent all the tools you need at any of the auto parts stores. It true that some people still have a problem putting gas in their cars, even a how to book or manual will not help them. Take it to a pro.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

We have talked about this in the past, The process to "setup" a rear (required when changinge gears) is not complicated but it is very unforgiving. You do something wrong and it cause a little surface damage on the gears, that metal gets into everything. Now you went from changing gears to needing a complete rebuild on the rear and new gears.

Maybe this will help, I have seen more rears screwed up by mechainc then I have seen any other area of the car. As Torque said you really need someone looking over your shoulder when you setup up your first rear. Someone that has done a few dozen rears.

The reason you can not find a guide is because it is just to involved, There are some Youtube videos out there but none I have seen can cover anything. The GM training class was 8 hours. That assume you knew a lot about rears going into the class. Even then having someone watch you is a real good idea.

Last edited by Gorn; 11-12-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
Maybe this will help, I have seen more rears screwed up by mechainc then I have seen any other area of the car. As Torque said you really need someone looking over your shoulder when you setup up your first rear. Someone that has done a few dozen rears.

Nah, I can't do it to Gorn although he really did set himself up.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

lol....yep I saw he left himself wide open for a jabbing. Just couldn't see sticking it to him though.

Old 11-12-2012, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya'll are just too cordial...lol..

If he said something like that on the truck forum I belong to...well...it's a bunch of truck driving good ol boys....they would have some fun with that...

Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 AM
2nd Gear member

I agree with everything said above. And I mean *everything* LOL...

To the OP, youhave 2 choices:

1. Disassemble the rear axle and replce the ring and pinion with one having the ratio you want. Here's where I agree with everything said about the mystery and intricacies of setting up the pinion depth, pinion rotating preload, ring gear side play, tooth contact pattern, etc. on the rear. Leave it to a professional. In my experience it will cost about a grand, even if you don't get all new bearings. But it will last or at least be warrantieed.

2. Buy a junkyard year having the ratio you want and install that in your car. This is cheaper and easier and I've done it many times.