3.4 remanufactured, or get the old one machined?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Question 3.4 remanufactured, or get the old one machined?

I have a 95 3.4 I took it to an oil change shop and they messed up and didnt fill it back up with oil, I drove it to work the next day and on the way home it started knocking. I have parked the car and am trying to decide what is the better idea. I would like to put something bigger in it, but I am a full time college student, so an ls1(plus new suspension, computer, exhaust, and probably tranny) is not in the budget. I can go and get a remanufactured engine from autozone for about what I can take the engine to a shop and get it rebuilt, any benefits to one over the other? (other than the numbers will match?) or if you have a better suggestion, let me know.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:13 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the main reason to rebuild would be to build stronger and more power another would be you know its done right and if it isnt then you know who to blame. lol. soo if your trying to save money and time go with autozone. what kind of warrenty do they give and if you install what is it.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:14 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If the shop is covering the repair their insurance should handle everything. Remanufactured engines are almost always cheaper then local rebuilds. If the engine ran dry your rebuild will be pricey.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 AM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
If the shop is covering the repair their insurance should handle everything. Remanufactured engines are almost always cheaper then local rebuilds. If the engine ran dry your rebuild will be pricey.
if the story is factual, then the shop had best be covering the repair.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I worked at a tire place while I was going to school. They replaced 2 engines due to mistakes while I was there. The only choice the owners had was what dealership did the work. One of the cars was still under warranty so the work had to be done with GM parts to keep the warranty. The other got a reman with a one year 12K warranty through the dealer. The insurance company does not want to deal with new engine problem that can be traced back to this so they push the whole thing off to the dealers. They also supplied the customer with a rental car while their car was in the shop.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM

haha yes the story is legit but it happened a year ago. I had to leave town two weeks later for college. I got back in town this summer and am trying to get this handled. The shop owner claims since I dont have regular maintenance records with them on the car that they wont replace the engine. I always did it myself, it was my toy so I did it. I was busy that weekend and let them handle it, and look what it got me... the warranty from autozone is something like 10-15k i think. and its good for a year.

Id like to make the engine more powerful, since I cant afford to sink a v8 in her right now, but I dont know what all that entails. I can work on cars, as far as swapping parts, or installing some aftermarket stuff, but I know nothing about taking the one I have and getting it set up to pump more power...

Old 08-11-2010, 08:20 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

3.4 is a good block and can produce some good numbers for a 6. i would do the reseach to set it up to better handle more power. pistons, ported heads, some good conecting rods, headers, cai, you know a few k extra worth of improvments. maybe stoke it up to handle some nos just in case. lol. then look at the numbers and think about if its something i want to do for that much. if so do it.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:54 AM
2nd Gear member

I recently finished the overhaul and reinstallation of the 3.4 in my 94. The engine was overheated and driven hot by the PO and a head gasket blew. RH head also had a small crack. Engine had 130k miles on it at the time.
I first tried to install a used engine to minimize down time and got screwed. Then I looked into a Jasper rebuilt engine -- about $2600 IIRC. I eventually pulled the original engine and had it rebuilt by a shop I trust. The engine was bored and decked, got new pistons, rings, bearings, oil pump, cam, lifters, etc. Cylinder heads were shaved a little and got a valve job. The shop assembled the short block. The shop bill was $2700.
I bolted on the heads (watch out for the head bolt issues!) and did the rest of reassembly/reinstallation. It is a big job and it took me months in my "spare" time LOL.
I wanted stock, bone stock, to keep things simple and reliable. I never considered a V8 swap becasue the car is intended for my 18 YO daughter.
I've put several hunderd miles on the car since last week when it was finished. The 3.4 is more than adequate to motivate the car so that makes me happy. I know the 3rd generation Camaros could get the 2.8 and that was kind of doggy.
Good luck.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 AM
2nd Gear member

Here are a few pics of the process.

Attached Thumbnails 3.4 remanufactured, or get the old one machined?-img_0430.jpg   3.4 remanufactured, or get the old one machined?-pb060047.jpg   3.4 remanufactured, or get the old one machined?-p4200039.jpg  
Old 08-12-2010, 02:36 PM
Overdrive Member

I sure hope the oil change shop is paying for this...

Go for a 3.8L instead. ;-)

Quick Reply: 3.4 remanufactured, or get the old one machined?