2002 cel

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2020, 09:34 PM
Default 2002 cel

Thought I fixed the problem but still happened. The car sat for two years and I replaced the engine and when I changed the fuel pressure sensor I noticed some of the wires were chewed on so I spliced one new wires but I’m assuming there is more wires chewed on that I can’t see. How bad is it to just keep driving with these codes?

Old 06-05-2020, 07:41 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Since they are pending codes I would clear the system and see how long or if they take to come back. Those codes will turn on your light but should only once the switch from pending to hard code. The evap code will not hurt anything but I believe if the MAF code comes back and turns into a hard code and your light comes on the car will go into limp home mode. It will still drive but it will kill your MPG and peak HP.

BTW which app are you using?

Old 06-05-2020, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Since they are pending codes I would clear the system and see how long or if they take to come back. Those codes will turn on your light but should only once the switch from pending to hard code. The evap code will not hurt anything but I believe if the MAF code comes back and turns into a hard code and your light comes on the car will go into limp home mode. It will still drive but it will kill your MPG and peak HP.

BTW which app are you using?
the app is BlueDriver and they both turn to hard codes after a little driving. They just turned to hard codes again today.

Old 06-05-2020, 09:19 AM

I don’t see any problems with the MAF wires and I replaced the it anyways

Old 06-05-2020, 09:39 AM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

It would be very rare to see a bad connector without taking it a part. Sometimes it is just a loose pin. I am not saying that is it only you cant go by that. If you clear the codes so the system is not in limp home mode and shake the wiring harness to the MAF, if the motor stumbles then the harness is bad. If it keeps running smooth the harness could still be bad.

Again I have no way of knowing what is wrong with your car but in my 96 I was getting that MAF code. I replaced the MAF and 4 days later the light came back on. I reset and 2 weeks later the light was back on. While I was under the hood my hand brushed against the harness going to the MAF senor and the engine stumbled. I then tried to reproduce the test. I could not get it to stumble again. I saw the pig tail for the MAF on Rock auto for cheap and figured what the heck. I soldered and shrink tubed the connection and the code was gone for good.

Old 06-05-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
It would be very rare to see a bad connector without taking it a part. Sometimes it is just a loose pin. I am not saying that is it only you cant go by that. If you clear the codes so the system is not in limp home mode and shake the wiring harness to the MAF, if the motor stumbles then the harness is bad. If it keeps running smooth the harness could still be bad.

Again I have no way of knowing what is wrong with your car but in my 96 I was getting that MAF code. I replaced the MAF and 4 days later the light came back on. I reset and 2 weeks later the light was back on. While I was under the hood my hand brushed against the harness going to the MAF senor and the engine stumbled. I then tried to reproduce the test. I could not get it to stumble again. I saw the pig tail for the MAF on Rock auto for cheap and figured what the heck. I soldered and shrink tubed the connection and the code was gone for good.
well I might try that then. In the mean time besides limp mode am I going to hurt anything. I’m pretty sure it was you that helped me with a ton of questions but about two years ago I replaced the engine so I don’t want to ruin this one it only has 35k miles on it.

Old 06-05-2020, 01:33 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If you are going to damage the engine or cats the check engine light should blink. You may need to clean the spark plugs if you run it awhile like that.