2001 Camshaft sensor P341 Check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Default 2001 Camshaft sensor P341 Check engine light on

I'm trying to help out a friend in diagnosing her 2001 Camaro which has the P341 code (Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit) on our diagnostic tool with the "check engine" light on. Its a Hall Effect sensor and was replaced by some other friends and the code was reset but the "Check Engine" light came back on after driving several miles. I have checked the 12 volt source to the sensor at the sensor at the red/blk center wire and brn/wht (or blk/wht can't tell) right side of plug and its good with a good ground. I have also checked to make sure the sensor interrupter is still on the camshaft gear with the sensor out of course while having someone manually crank the engine. What I saw was a little black something that was less than an inch square which I guess was the magnet . I can't find any images on the internet thinking and thought maybe it was some sort of something that the magnet is mounted to.

Anyway what I'm having trouble with is how to test for the 5-7 volts that goes to the Ignition Control Module ICM from the sensor. I know that the voltage drops to zero as the interrupter goes by. The info I get off the internet is to check the "J" wire on the ICM but I don't want to remove the coil pack for fear that I might make problems worse to get to the ICM. Looks intimidating to me. I should be able to check it at the 3 wire plug but I'm not sure if the center is ground or the 12v source. The Haynes Manual electrical diagram she has shows red/blk in the center wht/blk and brn/wht on the ends. The left wire looks to be yel/blk to me. All the info I get shows different wiring configurations for the camshaft sensor. So maybe my question is is there a way to bench test the sensor or maybe I can be encouraged to remove the coil pack to get to the ICM as not a hard task where I can get to the J,M,N connections for proper testing. I'm not a mechanic but not afraid to try as I have electronic and some automotive knowledge experience with the help of the internet..

Sorry to be so long winded and too wordy.

Thanks

Old 10-29-2018, 12:16 AM
2nd Gear member

You don't say if the motor is a V6 or V8, but the lead colors you reference seem to be for the V6. I've attached a troubleshooting guide for P0341 from the factory service manual that may help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2001 P0341 DTC.pdf (342.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 10-29-2018, 03:35 PM

Yes I did leave out that vital Information..and correct it is a V6 . 3800 5 Speed. Thanks Peterpar for the attachment but I can't view it for some reason maybe cause I'm a newby. But I have gotten lots of good info off the internet and I have the Haynes Repair manual which gives all the code numbers and surprisingly enough gave good information on testing and diagnosing code issues. I also did join the OBD Codes site and poked around there too. In my travels I did verify what the sensor interrupter looked like which is exactly what I saw..
Also found out that I can remove the cam sensor and check with a multimeter for 2 pins that have about 5 mega ohms which would be the signal and ground with the 3 pin as voltage source. plus how to test the sensor while motor running or as a bench test. Now I have seen enough videos of removing the coil packs thats not a big deal to get to ICM. I will be checking the voltages there too. Plus naturally will take a closer look for wiring issues. I have a scope but its too old and been too
long since I've used it. I think that would be helpful. I don't anticipate getting lucky and nailing the problem but at least I will have done all that I can do then be done with it and recommend a mechanic.

I will respond with a follow up