2000 firebird vats/security issue.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM
Default 2000 firebird vats/security issue.

Hi, I have a 2000 firebird 3.8v6 That has been having vats issues for quite some time now. I've done the bypass the key trick. Which worked for a while,but never really solved my problem.I had would still have many occasions where the security light would come on and the car would not crank or start.So I had purchased a vats bypass module from hawks third gen which did not work at all.With the module in place the car would run for 2 seconds and die. I was told by them it would eliminate the need for the resister pellet in the key or in my case the resister I used to bypass the key. The car wouldn't crank or run without the resister being plugged in, and my security light would just flash. Today I made sure the resistance was still the same as the key pellet, and removed the module and returned everything to normal. The resister is currently in place like it always was. the security light comes on then goes off like normal,but the car will only start and run for 2 seconds. I have also found no broken or chafed wires at the base of my steering column. I've tried the relearn thing too with no success. I'm really stumped and really need some help here. anything is greatly appreciated.
Also would like to state I'm not a novice with wiring and mechanics, but this is not my area of expertise. Thank you

Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 AM

Sorry so late, but there is a complete vats bypass module available. The one you have only bypasses the key circuit. There are two more OUTPUT circuits on the vats, one that goes to your starter and the other to your fuel injector. These could also go faulty. I'm not sure where you would get it, but just do a search on line for "complete vats bypass" and I'm sure you'll find it on the first page. Its not cheap though, but it'll take care of that stupid thing once and for all. Just keep in mind, it completely bypasses your entire security system, sensors and all

Old 08-18-2012, 10:58 AM

It's newrockies.com $179

Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 AM
Tech Droid

For that kind of money you can get the PCM reprogrammed to delete the VATS, and get a tune included.

Last edited by z28pete; 08-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Again, sorry so late, but if you're still interested, here's another trick you can try that wont cost you a dime.

My light came on one day and never went off. Turns out, if there is a fault on the key circuit while the engine's been running for more than one minute, then the vats will recognize this as a fault and allow you to start your engine every time, but the light will never go away.

Here's what you do...Satisfy the key circuit with your resistor. Start your car and let it run for at least one minute. Then pull the resistor off and let it run for another minute, or until the security light comes on. The vats will think this is a fault and allow you to start your car everytime. Then you have a choice of either dealing with the security light or pulling the bulb.

Its also possible you have the wrong resistor. It may be close in value, but just off enough to give you intermittent problems. I'd suggest going to the dealer and make sure you have the correct resistor value/key number. There are charts available on line if you do a search. These will tell you the correct ohm range. It can be off slightly, but must be very close to the approved value. If you have a problem finding the right resistor, you can add them together in series until you get the value you want

Old 08-19-2012, 10:40 AM

I've seen the full bypass module from new rockies,and have considered it, Where can you get a computer reprogramed to remove vats and set up a tune?? Is it really worth putting a tune on a sixer??
Tim, my main is issue is my car won't run at all. i get 3 seconds then she dies. otherwise I would try this in a heartbeat.
Thanx for the replies guys.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 AM

I dont think reprogramming the computer is all you have to do. The comp doesn't really "talk" to the vats. The vats is its own unit. In other words, there isn't really a "smart" data wire between the two. More like a "dumb" relay wire. Thats what would get reprogrammed on the pcm. It would just ignore the relay, thats all. You would still have to manually bypass the starter relay on the vats I believe. But I guess that isnt too difficult if you wanna go that route. Just get a wiring diagram and close off the starter relay wire to the ground. Cant do that for the fuel injector relay though. That one has voltage and would require the reprogramming mentioned above.

If your car starts and runs for 3 seconds before it dies, then we can rule out the starter circuit as the problem. Its either the key circuit or the fuel injector circuit. I'd say make totally sure that your resistor has the correct value and is connected correctly to the key circuit. If so, then you can either get a full bypass module, or take it somewhere to get the vats relay ignored by your computer and then manually bypass the starter relay. Good luck...

Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM

Btw, the complete bypass module also bypasses your door sensors and shock sensor I believe, but if you get the comp reprogrammed, you can still have them connected and have a perimeter alarm at least. Also, like I said, the starter circuit sounds like its ok, so you may not have to bypass it manually after all. Just keep it in mind though in case it doesnt wanna start again one day. Make sure that key circuit is satisfied correctly though before you do anything. Seems like 9 times out of 10, that's what it be...

Old 08-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM

Lol well that's a little too sophisticated for me dude. What worries me is what he said about the vats box burning itself out. I failed to realize that. My key circuit is just resistored off, which means the vats now thinks my key is in the ignition at all times. Hmm, I guess I could just put a toggle switch on it though. Ha, yea that would be my own passkey. I could put it right on top of the obd port. Ugh, stupid vats.

Well, mr monkey seems to know what he's talking about. How do I find all of these fancy parts though? Radio Shack?? I have a soldering gun already...

Quick Reply: 2000 firebird vats/security issue.