1998 Z electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 07:18 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 1998 Z electrical problem.

Hey guys, just got my car.

Runs great, no shakes, very fun.
However.

Got it back down from Georgia last night, and as I hit a bump, 4 minutes from home, dash lights and running tail lights go out. Cigarette outlets dead, driver side mirror light out. Blinkers, emergency flashers, etc. out. Huh. Looked like a fuse issue to me.

My fuse panel is all kinds of crusty and corroded. Definitely needs to be cleaned up with some CRP, a file, and some elbow grease. Fuses will be getting replaced with all new ones. It looks like there was previously a leak, and they just ran with the panel all wet.

Do you guys think it could also be a wiring harness issue? Even the odometer/trip meter is out cold. Radio, nothing is working. The actual guage cluster is fine, reads good.

Worst comes to worse in some cases, and just in case, where would I find either a replacement fuse panel assembly, and where could I get replacement harnesses for the accessory outlets, radio, dash, and guage clusters?

To note, still having fun with the car, got the running lights working, so it's legal to drive for now. Going underway, won't be back for 9 days.

-edit-

Could it be a BCM issue? I didn't, don't, think it could be that. Lights are still on, windows are still working, wipers, etc.

Last edited by Thefoodman52; 09-05-2015 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:43 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

gona have to start cleaning or replace fuse box. also clean all the grounds you can find. under kick panels, both sides. if leak was on driver side i would look to that side first.

Old 09-05-2015, 09:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Also to note, there's an odd little toggle switch right next to the OBD II port underneath the steering column inside. The fuse panel also has a few wires jumping around, which tells me there was probably a previous sound system installed. There's already an aftermarket radio single din installed, that switch is probably an amp cutout switch, and the wires were jumping around more than likely to give power around to an amp, ghetto style.

I'll get a picture of it, but I'm probably just going to start looking for a replacement fuse panel, as well as replacing all the fuses, and going in and checking the grounds.

Now craby, you said the kick panels. I'm not sure what those are, truth be told. Are you referring to the big plastic panels that are under the steering column, and the passenger side glove box? They're held in with ~6 screws.

-edit-

I can't really seem to find anything either for a replacement wiring harness/fuse panel assembly. All of my searches just pull up fuse panel covers, with no actual fuse panels and harnesses.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:17 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Thefoodman52
My fuse panel is all kinds of crusty and corroded. Definitely needs to be cleaned up with some CRP, a file, and some elbow grease. Fuses will be getting replaced with all new ones. It looks like there was previously a leak, and they just ran with the panel all wet.
Dig into other areas of the car and see if there are any signs of it possibly being a flood victim.
If it is, that can cause a handful of electrical issues, now and in the future.

Old 09-05-2015, 11:18 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

is it rusted bad? kick panels are to the door side of your feet.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:20 AM
1st Gear Member

When I was in there looking at it, there's no rust anywhere. It literally looks like water was dripping down and got the fuse panel in the dash there right up front. No floor rust, etc.

-edit-

My more basic question is this, while I'm still searching. Where can I source out, either OEM or aftermarket, a new fuse panel/wiring harness for the car?
This is the extreme side of a solution, but if it's all corroded when I pull it out, I want to be able to have a way to pop a whole new unit in place, used or new.

Last edited by Thefoodman52; 09-06-2015 at 12:26 AM.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

there is a power junction box on the passenger side fender well by the battery. small red plastic box. take the wires lose and wire brush the heck outa the wire ends. once power wires are hooked back up there is also a ground junction there, if they look like they need cleaning do them too.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:12 AM
2nd Gear member

He has a 98 and there is no power junction box on the passenger side. It is on the driver side attached to the side of one of the underhood relay/fuse boxes. There is a fusible link terminal right under that one but attached to the other box.

Last edited by GaryDoug; 01-05-2018 at 09:23 PM.