1998 Camaro 3.8 engine A/C Compressor mounting bolts keep breaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 AM
Default 1998 Camaro 3.8 engine A/C Compressor mounting bolts keep breaking

One day, the serpentine belt on my camaro went loose and fell off the compressor. I checked and the back bracket to the A/C Compressor was off. Meaning before the belt came off it was still not on. Since there was so much tension on the compressor, it broke the bolts that go into the block on the engine. I managed to get two of the broken bolts out. But it had two other one's I could not get out. I put the compressor back on with two bolts and the mounting bracket bolted to the engine on the back of the compressor. Again, it broke those bolts and now the compressor is loose. This is going to be a hassle having to take the compressor off again and take those bolts out. Even if I do manage to get the other bolts out, they will probably break again. And I can't get the old bolts out cuz I used titanium drill bits, extractors, etc. and NOTHING would get them out. Is there anyway to drill in new threading in the block. Because that block is STRONG and hard to drill through. What do you think I should do?

Old 02-08-2014, 02:05 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The threads should be stronger then the cross section of the bolt. If the bolts are not corroded (rusted) the broken off part should back out of the thread easily. That assumes you did not damage the thread the last time you installed them.

Just put in a US made grade 8 bolts (they are almost 4x stronger then what the factory would install)

FYI your block is cast iron and easy to drill and tap. Much easier then steel but not as easy as aluminum. Any drill or tap designed for steel should have no problem with cast iron.